Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigglesUK

MIS
Jun 29, 2005
GB
Hello,

Im not sure crystals up to this one... ive tried to use the file system data query but cant.

I would like to compare 2 directories. One contains my files that are CGM file types, the other directory contains the PDF's for these files. I want to make sure that all the files in the CGM directory have at least 1 PDF. The PDF file is a trimmed version of the CGM filename with the different extension.

I cant do a command on when using "file system data" as my datasource. What can I do to get this going?

thanks

Andrew

Try using the CGM files in a main report and then add the PDF files in the subreport. Then create a formula in the main report that will match the file name in the subreport. If, for example, the CGM file names and the PDF only differ by the extension, then use a formula like:

left({table.filename},instr({table.filename},".")-1)

Then use this formula to link to a similar formula in the subreport (in the subreport linking screen). If you want help in figuring out what the formulas should be, I think we would need to see samples of the corresponding fields from each set of files.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back