Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File browsers problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Hello,

On my win98se machine at home, I've got a strange problem. When I go into the file broswer to open or save a file, the other files and folders are ordered by date and not alphabeticly (like normal). For example, in any application, If I go to File->open, the file broswer shows all my files in order of date (so the newest are at the end of the list), instead of showing the folders first, then the files.

This started happening a few weeks ago, and it's starting to get irritating. It's easy now to find the latest files, but it takes a while to find an older file because I have no idea where in the list it is!

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I should go about fixing this?

-Ed Wedig

While in your file browser window, click on the 'Name' header. This will change the sort order to file name. If you click again, this will reverse the sort order.

This will be true for all of the column headers.

Hello Doc,

You can also quickly go to a file in any dialog box or in Windows Explorer by highlighting any file name, and then typing in the first few letters of the file you want (i.e. "goo" for the file named "Google FAQ.htm"). This trick obviously works only if you know the exact name of the file you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back