Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Audit script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antoniof

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2002
US
Hello Everyone,

I am new to scripting, and need your assistance.
Here is my scenario, I need to know which network users are accessing the network files in the data folder and subfolders on the Win2K server and what they are doing on those files. Like for example if they are editing a file, deleting a file, viewing a file, etc.
I also need to now when they are doing so. and output all this info to a file.
Please let me know if this is possible and how. If there is a better way I am open to sudgestions.

Thank you,
Tony

How about a better way ??

Get Executive Software's Net Undelete v. 5.0. There is auditing capabilites in there that do most of what you asked. And here's the kicker.. it replaces the recycle bin on your server so that no matter HOW someone deletes a file, it will save it "Just in case" you need it. And it's much faster than Tape if you have to restore a file (provided it hasn't already autopurged because of being full).

This solution would really only show Deleted files and files that were modified (temp files deleted) in this recovery bin. As for file access, you'll need to most likely revert to Enabling the Microsoft Auditing feature, and attacking it at that end.

-SWarrior

Thanks,
I will try that and advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back