Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file attributes (mp3,jpg,etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoffman

Programmer
Jun 12, 2002
US
Is there a way to programatically list the various descriptors available and their values on the files within a directory? I know the standard ones are available (filename, date created,etc), but how about the others (camera for JPG, artist, genre for MP3) ? Do a right click while in the headings area of disk explorer (file manager) and see the expanded list of all that is available.

Thanks!

have u looked at ms kb 321379?

does it have what you need?

- onedtent Onedtent OnedTent OnedTenT OneDTenT
Trying not to answer posts that have been replied to

I would never ask a question without trying to find out if it has been answered before (that's just rude). I searched the forum with "xcel file attributes mp3" and a lot of other terms, but no luck. I checked out the kb you sent but it doesn't pertain to what I need to do (or I just don't understand the article). I have a bunch of photos and music and would like to document them. For instance, my photos were taken with multiple cameras and the camera is listed as a detail under the file descriptions. I would like to place the image names in column A, date taken in B, and camera in column C. Same for the music, only I want name, artist, genre, & year.
Thanks for your time!

Sorry, I misunderstood the tagline on your signature.
I really appreciate your help but it appears MS will not allow what I want to do. I thought by using the FileSystem procedure I could somehow enumerate through the various properties such as flename, date created, file type, etc. and that there would be a way to get to those expanded details - but alas, no.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back