Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File associations

Status
Not open for further replies.

taubate

Programmer
Jun 29, 2001
US
We're running MFXP on win2k SP3. When I put the server into remote admin mode, create a file association, put it back into application mode, that file association doesn't show for users logging onto the server.

Whereas on the server console itself, the association shows and works just fine.

Any ideas? Thanks!

The association will be kept only for the user you logged in as (this is mostly true but can change depending on how your using profiles).

Try testing this by logging in as another user and making the changes on their id, then log off and back in to see the effects.

I'm not sure of an automated way to set file associations, but reply back with your results and we can research.

You could replicate your registry settings and script/copy them onto the other user profiles / user based registry...

Regards,

Joerg

Oops, the above post was for another thread, sorry!

jamor1999 -

While I would like to give your suggestion a try, it may be impractical in my situation. The server needs to be put into remote admin mode first. Switching between remote admin mode and application mode has caused problems with some core biz apps we run on that server. Also, I have about 80 user accounts that I could be potentially logging in and out of.

There has to be some setting that is preventing manually-added file associations from being made available to terminal services users...

joergguenther -

Where would I find the relevant registry keys?

When I need to change an association:

1.Log onto the cosole

2.Load this reg update to allow association changes:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
"NoFileAssociate"=dword:00000000

3. log off and back on (to see the change)

4. Change association via My Computer\Tools\Folder Options

5. Load this reg update to disallow association changes:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
"NoFileAssociate"=dword:00000001

6. Log off

This has worked consistently for me, but I don't use remote admin. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back