Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Associations on Citrix Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrikk

MIS
May 10, 2000
US
I recently began supporting a Windows 2000 terminal network with a Metaframe server. Whoever set this up in the beginning made a real mess and I am trying to make the best of it without starting from scratch. The clients are full-blown PC's and have the Windows 2000 professional operating system installed locally. The operating system is the only thing installed to the local computer, therefore there are no file associations for their apps. I have done hours worth of research trying to find a solution for this problem. To opem a file, the workstations users much first open their app and then go through the open process from within. Email attachments have to be saved first and then go through the same procedure to open. This is a tiring process and one I would like to see resolved. So far I have been able to set file associations and when opening a file the app will launch, but with a new file. Not with the file that was selected upon launching the app. If anyone knows how to accomplish this, your input would be most appreciated.

Kerrikk, can you let us know what apps are running, and how they are installed. (ie: shared admin install of office, or a straight install from cd. etc......) Any additional info will only make it easier for us to help in a well thought out manner.

-Mike

Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

Thanks for your response! All apps are shared and they include Office 2000, ACT! 2000, Adobe Acrobat 4.0 and Quickbooks 2000. Hope this is what you need.

If there is no software installed locally, you will have to manually create local file associations.

All file associations should work via the ICA session. If the e-mail application is run in the ICA session and all applications have been installed to all users, then there should not be an issue.

Do you know if the relevant Application Compatibility Scripts were run?

If you get the opportunity, try building a test server. See my FAQs for more details ;-)

If you only have one MetaFrame server, there is the possibility that you could get the test server built and use it in production while you rebuild the original MetaFrame server properly.

Hope this helps

But how do I manually create the file associations? I have tried manually creating them but as I said in my first post, the applications opens, but the file that was used to launch the app does not open. As for the email application (outlook express), it is not running in the ICA session, but running locally.
Thanks for you input CitrixEngineer. I will look at your FAQs

Look up the ASSOC command in Windows terminal server Help for details. Also check FTYPE command for the method of changing the file types that are started by the association created with ASSOC. Try creating a test file, got o the command prompt and type "copy con test.prn" (without the quotes), press Enter, press F6. Use the ASSOC command to associate it wih NOTEPAD. From memory...

ASSOC .prn=textfil

I guess the standard methods of changing file associations are not available to stop users from knobbling everyone elses file associations but I thought there would be a "nicer" way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back