Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagsy

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
GB
Attempting to open a MPJ file, with Minitab application which is located on the network.

When ever I atttempt to associate this program with the file suffix, it ignores the program I browse to and only selects whats available on the menu.

I have tried it on another XP (SP1) machine and it works fine. It updates the list, with the program I browsed to on the network.

Not sure why it will not on this machine (same OP and SP)

try changing it via the folder settings in control panel

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Thanks - But I its the same this way.

Go to the working machine and open regedit.
Navigate to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpj
right-click, and Export this key to a file.

Bring the file (it will have a .REG extension) over to your PC and double-click to merge with your registry. Reboot and test.

Great idea - but again it failed.

Received the successfuly import message.

It looks like it will into accept new types on this machine.

User is setup as Local admin as well

I am curious if you are trying to access the underlying application across the network, rather than locally on your hard drive?

Yes - I am opening the application accross the network.

This is the same on both machines. Nothing installed locally.

The application gets added to the list on one of the machines (working one) but not on the other!!

It will not be added to the list until there is a valid association of the application to a file extension.

Use notepad and open the .REG file you created earlier. Check the entry for the path, executable name, and other details of the .mpj entries.

Not sure there is enough in this file...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.MPJ]
@="ft000002"

Looking in REGEDIT, on the machine which works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back