Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Association Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleRedRanil

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
GB
Hello there,

This is my first post, so be gentle with me….

I am getting the following error when I open Win98 SE

windows cannot find hbqilhbg, This programe is needed for running programe of the type "application".

This happens when I try to run a .exe file,

This may be a virus, but I have gone to symantec and I have tried to follow some of their suggestion but their programs will not run. Ie they are .exe files

After reading some of the precious threads I have gone into msconfig (after renaming the file extention) and disabled wfao in “start up” as it had the comment "hbqilhbg.exe autorun". However, this did not work.

Other threads have indicated this may be a file association error. I have gone into My Computer (cannot get into explorer) and folder options – file types and sure enough, it says that “application” opens with hbqilhbg.

The problem is, how do I change “application” (and any other) to the correct “open with” association. ie from hbqilhbg to the right one, which I think is [EXECUTABLE]. This file type does not allow me to edit it and I do not know where to find the [EXECUTABLE] program?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am pulling my hair out….and I am already bald enough as it is!!!

I have just run the online virus scan, but did not find anything!

As far as I know, there shouldn't be any association to *.exe files at all, so just delete it.

It seems there was already a virus scan run on your system, therefore the file in question, probably randomly named, has already been deleted.

Look through the rest of your file associations and any file that is associated with "hbqihbg" should either be corrected or deleted.

Just adding a bit more to it, it could just be someone fool around with your system and put in that file association without your knowledge and therefore a virus scan wouldn't have found anything at all.

Think of who has access to your machine, a 98 machine, which mean anyone that can walk into your room.

Unfortunately, the "Application" association does not give me the option to remove it.

Looking through the rest of the file associations I have also found that "MS-DOS application" is also linked with "hbqihbg". This also does not give me the option to remove it!

It is starting to look as though I have a system rebuild on my hands.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back