Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file association of shell folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayned

Technical User
Mar 13, 2002
CA
I was changing the icon for the folders in the Folder Options->File Types window. I accidently changed the association of "folders" with no extension to "search" rather than "open." I tried to correct the error by creating a new association with "explore" opened by the explorer.exe application. The problem is now when I click on a folder in explorer it ALWAYS opens a new window to view folder contents even when I select "open in same window" option... i am having the same problem with my hard drive icon which i also changed... oops... how do I get the default association for folders back?

Thanks!
wayned

The easiest way would be to use System Restore to go back to a point before all those accidents.

Great idea except System Restore appears to have suspended itself on all drives... something about not enough disk space on C drive, except I have about 5Gb free there... even after running through disk cleanup it still won't allow me to start system restore... THAT is another issue... any more ideas about folder associations?

Thanks,
wayned

Go to Tools/Folder Options/File Types.

Select what you want to change. Then click on Advanced to bring up the Edit File Box. Click on New. In the new action, type "explore" (or any other word for that matter). Use the browse button to locate Explorer.exe. And select it as the program to perform this action. Press OK to get back to the Edit File Box. Highlight "explore" (or what ever word you used) and click on Set Default. Press OK to close these edit boxes. Hopefully Explorer.exe will now open these when you click on them.

As a "by the way" have a look at this.

Q302796 - Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP

Thanks for your response. I already tried that. It works, to a point... when I click a folder a NEW explorer window opens with the contents of the folder. Setting "Open Folder In Same Window" setting in folder properties does not work, clicked folders STILL open in a new window. If I right click the folder and select "Open" then the folder contents appear in the same window, the default action i am looking for. But when i go to tool/folders/options/file types to set "Open" as the default action, there is no entry in the list for open...

system restore is still broken, the below is the entry from the Event Viewer...

The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC000007F' while processing the file 'desktop.ini' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

Of course the Mircosoft help link for this problem has no information, nice idea if they actually put some info in it... (~;

Any other ideas about the folders?

Tks,
W

email me at rjkrash@hotmail.com your email address and I'll send you two .reg files that are the default setting for [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder] and [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive]

These are the two entries in the registry that control the issues you are having.

BTW there is an easy way to change the icons for your drives with edits to autorun.inf. If you want to know ask. ----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

I forgot:

File Folders is at [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory]

I can send that too. ----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

Stick with Rjkrash on the Reg side of things. He certainly knows his subject. Just as an aside when you right click on your drive what options are displayed and what is in bold type. I myself have played with the REG but I'm still learning. I did discover for what it is worth, by deleting the keys under [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\Shell] ( the right click applications, including explore) the drive will then open as you want, even though there is no open or explore under shell. However it will return to your problem if you then add more options via the edit box.

On the other matter of System Restore there is a little bit of info on that problem here.

Many thanks to rjkrash and linney... I exported the mentioned keys from my laptop xp install, merged them with my desktop and voila problem fixed... now to work on that system restore issue... any recommends for a good Xp registry guide?

Tks again,
Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back