Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File and printer sharing exception turned on at reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

compugor

IS-IT--Management
Oct 26, 2003
US
I have Windows XP Pro SP2 w/Firewall in full "stealth" mode (no open ports); using 2 NICS w/ ICS, unbound file & print sharing by unchecking it in the components list for the internet adapter. So all is well security-wise and LAN PCs can share resources... BUT... every time I reboot, the file & print sharing exception is checked and ICMP is enabled. Even with the f&p sharing component unchecked on the internet NIC, I still don't want to respond to outside pings, and what is causing this behavior? I can uncheck the f&p sharing exception which automatically unchecks ICMP as well, and it stays that way as long as the PC remains up and running but upon reboot there it is again.

Is it taking its firewall settings from a Group Policy?

Using the Windows Firewall INF File in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2

Troubleshooting Windows Firewall in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

Manually Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Open Network Connections (not My Network Places).
Point at your Internet adapter.
Advanced, Advanced Settings
Unbind File and Printer sharing.

bcastner: That's a kewl way to access the network connections config that I wasn't aware of, thanks; but I already had f&p sharing unbound from my internet adapter.
linney: The firewall settings are not coming from Group Policy. Great links, thanks... I read and studied them all.
Still would be nice to understand why the file & print sharing exception is checked and icmp is enabled in the firewall every time I reboot. Its even more befuddling now that I know the firewall inf file is unmodified from its original installation and I can find no scripts or registry entries or policy settings making this happen.

Have you tried a combination of Safe Mode With Networking, and seeing if your settings are saved across boots to Safe Mode?

This is probably not relevant but the question sprang to mind from another thread I checked, and that is, are you running any VPN client software?

Disabling ICMP PING

ICMP settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back