Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File and Print Sharing enabled, not working, cant not perform NET VIEW 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gparrish

MIS
Feb 28, 2003
US
My Windows XP Pro install had been working fine. In the last couple of days I noticed I can not print to the printer on my other PC that is sharing it via Windows.

I checked the NET VIEW command and of course I cant see any computers at all now. I have tried changing the computer name and workgroup and return it to the normal setting but nothing ever shows in NET VIEW. Of course the Microsoft client and File and Print is installed but something has gone bad.

The NET VIEW command just returns: There are no entries in the list, but I know there are 2 other machines in this workgroup and other other computers are fine. All other networking items are working fine and I can get to a local FTP server and to the Internet.

I noticed from IPCONFIG that NETBIOS over TCPIP is disabled but I have not changed anything. There is the default setting which is current and then enabled and disabled. I changed it to enabled and nothing, rebooted and nothing - still shows as disabled. So it appears to be stuck on disabled and thus MS file and print will not work.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Greg

You view the properties sheet for the connection, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Properties, click Advanced, and then click the WINS tab...

You then click 'Enable Netbios over TCP/IP' (Not the Default button) and OK your way back out to the desktop.

Now Ipconfig /all is silent as to whether you have Netbios enabled or not (not strictly true, as the Node type should change. It will, but Ipconfig will report 'Unknown').

Your description matches exactly what can happen with a misconfigured firewall:

. Make sure that the native XP ICF Firewall has not been enabled.
. Watch out for "hidden" firewalls. Many antivirus softwares will do this; PC-Illan is infamous for its hidden firewall component.

. If you have uninstalled something recently, this could be to blame. Norton Antivirus is infamous in this regard:
If you are clean in all the above, I strongly suspect an issue with your physical cable plant.

Have you tried right-clicking on the Local Area Connection in Network Connections and see what the Repair option does?

If things were fine a couple of days ago perhaps System Restore might do something.

Try Bcastners solutions first.

thx to bcastner I found the reason of my only partially working network. Hell, I work already 10 years with Windows-Networks :-( completly forgot this Netbios-@###!!!?

----------------------------------------

Everybody has the right to be stupid -- but some people abuse the privilege. (a quote from Stalin - and I am one of the abusers, sometimes...)
----------------------------------------
Experienced in the IT-chaos since 1984...

Okay here is how I fixed it, typical Windows BS:

- Already had Enable NetBIOS over TCPIP on as mentioned
- XP Firewall was disabled, no other firewalls installed
- Norton AV is running but nothing new there

Installed my Belkin USB Ethernet so to test this with another NIC and it installed and came up fine and could do the NET VIEW things. Rebooted and switched back to the onboard NIC and now it works also. Not sure what fixed it but it was not the reboot or anything. As mentioned before all other network items worked fine so did not see a cable issue, hope this helps and thanks for the input all.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back