Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file and folder permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

trbleshooter

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US
I have switched files and folders fron win 98 to winxp pro and am having trouble with permissions when sharing the folder on the network. I cannot copy the files or folder to another computer without getting an access error and only the owner of the folder can save changes. At this point i would just like to abolish all permissions and start from scratch. I also cannot keep the reads only box unchecked. It keeps resetting after i close the folder. Any help here. I want to copy an entire folder and it's cvontents that include spreadsheets over to another computer.

2. The Read-only status of folders under XP does not mean anything like it used to pre-XP. You cannot make a persistent change in the Read-only status of folders, but it does not mean the folder is truely Read-only:

what would be the syntax for removing the read only attribbite for a folder and all the folders and files under it directly under a users c drive on a xp pro machine? Thanks for all the help:)

Create a shortcut to this file on your desktop...

Compliments of BCastner...

%Windir%\Help\ntcmds.chm

It's a nice run down of all DOS commands.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

From a Command prompt use the ATTRIB command.
Displays or changes file attributes.
This command displays, sets, or removes the Read-Only, Archive, System, and Hidden attributes assigned to files or directories.

Syntax
ATTRIB [+R|-R] [+A|-A] [+S|-S] [+H|-H][[drive:][path]filename] [/S]
To display all attributes of all files in the current directory, use the following syntax:
ATTRIB
Parameter
[drive:][path]filename
Specifies the location and name of the file(s) you want to process.
Switches
+R
Sets the Read-Only file attribute.
-R
Clears the Read-Only file attribute.
+A
Sets the Archive file attribute.
-A
Clears the Archive file attribute.
+S
Sets the file as a System file.
-S
Clears the System file attribute.
+H
Sets the file as a Hidden file.
-H
Clears the Hidden file attribute.
/S
Processes files in the current directory and all of its subdirectories.

"If you ever copied files from a CD-ROM to your hard drive, you've probably noticed that those files will be set to read-only, preventing you from modifying them. Removing the read-only attribute by hand can get really tedious, especially if you're looking at hundreds or thousands of files. ArcSet is a utility that does the job for you. It can automatically reset file attributes on specified files on a drive or in a folder, even recursing through subfolders."

ArcSet -- Win9x, NT4, Win2K, WinME, XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back