Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File & Printer sharing, Win XP & Win98 SE Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmcb

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
US
I have 2 Win XP machines and 2 Win98 SE machines networked with ethernet and a Linksys router and DSL. All machines access the internet normally. If I turn on the (Protect my computer) option in the Win XP machines, I can no longer see any other machines in My Network Places. Ths Win98 SE machines also can not see the Win XP machines in Network Neighborhood.

Is there a way to utilize file and printer sharing with this option enabled in the Win XP machines. The Win98 SE machines all get along just fine via Network Neighborhood.

bobmcb@sbcglobal.net

Yes, the firewall that can be turned on in Win XP

You need to open 12 ports:

The following ports are associated with file sharing and server message block (SMB) communications:
Microsoft file sharing SMB: User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports from 135 through 139, and Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) ports from 135 through 139.
Direct-hosted SMB traffic without network basic input/output system (NetBIOS) uses port 445 (TCP and UPD).

See the link I provided earlier for instructions.

Thanks, I will try that.

Bobmcb

One more question, Does the router provide some protection since the internal ip addresses on my in house network are not the same as the ip address of the connection to the ISP, in this case SBCGLOBAL.NET??

Yes, computers behind a NAT router are provided some protection.

But this does nothing if the source of the worm/virus is an email message for example.

Thanks again. Was primarily concerned about the intrusions into the XP machine when only the operating system is running. No user applications or browsers or email programs.

Unknown emails and unknown attachments are a NO NO in this household.

Thanks for the help.

Bob McBirney
bobmcb@sbcglobal.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back