Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File & Print Sharing with Win 98 and 2000 Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldain

MIS
Mar 16, 2002
US
Hello,

I have recently installed a Windows 2000 Professional computer onto a peer to peer network. I am turning the new Windows 2000 Professional box as the main shared drive. The network I am placing it on, all of the workstations run Windows 98. For some reason when I try to access the Windows 2000 Professional computer from another workstation within Network Neighborhood, it states I have no permission to this resource, or will bring up a box asking for a password for user IC$ or something along those lines. The only way for me to give thoe workstations with Windows 98 access is to go into the Computer Management section within Administrative Tools, and adding the name of each workstation computer name into the user list, and then giving the User's group full rights to the shared folder.

My question is does anyone know of another way that these workstations can access this computer without having to create a local user account for every computer on the Windows 2000 Professional machine? I would like for any machine to be able to have access to this computer without having to setup a local account for the user. Thanks in advance.

create one account on the 2000 machine for example ::

username: user
password: shared

on each win98 machine during bootup at the windows login screen simply login as that user which u created on the 2000 machine....you will have complete access to that shared network source.....i had the same problem and it worked out great.....happy networking...

<<*[pipe]*Just Another Guru*[pipe]*>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back