Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Action Log? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxylaad

Programmer
Jan 27, 2004
GB
Hello,
Is there any way on windows server 2003 to log when actions have been performed on specific files, ie if a file has been copied?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ian

Hi, thanks for that.
I have give it a go an I have found I can modify the security permissions for a notepd file on my desktop but the security tab appears to be missing from the database file which is held one folder down from the c drive?

Any ideas?
btw the server does not have microsoft access on it so it just sees it as an unknown file - you think that might have an impact?

Thanks again

Ian

Do you mean one folder down from the root of the C: drive? Is the drive formatted as NTFS?

I have an access Db on my 2003 server and i can see the security tab, the server doesn't have access on.

ah right! the partition I am looking on is formatted fat32 yet the one where I can set file scurity permissions is NTFS.
That should do it, I am just copying the files to the NTFS partition now then I will check.

while I am here would you know if it would be possible to set a permission to stop anyone copying a database file that exists on the server, yet still allow them to open and use it?

I'm almost certain you can't do that as the file will be opened on the client, i think there might be third party software that would do it.

right thanks.
I have enabled the auditing for the file, but would the auditing show whether the file has been copied?

Thanks again

btw have a star :)

A copy should open the file at some point so audit for that, you'll have to test a few combinations.

The problem with that is that its a back end database so users will be opening it left right and center. I wouldnt be able to distinguish an normal use opening from a copying of data.

You mentioned third party software?

ok, I will have a look about.

Thanks for all your help.

Iajn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back