Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckG

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
We've got a 2003 server that is just a file server in a larger AD domain.

We've been getting reports of users trying to open large files (180Meg to 200Meg) excel, word, etc. And getting an error like this.

'filename.xls' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding.

The file isn't read-only, the share isn't read-only and the server logs don't show any kind of non-responsive condition.

I've gone in myself as a domain admin, and tried opening one of these folks XLS files. I try and it gives the same error, then 5-15 minutes later, I can get into it without error.

I'm seeing a few errors in the event logs, but nothing I'd connect to this issue.

The Security log has been showing some failure audits like this:

Logon Failure:
Reason: Account currently disabled
User Name:
Domain:
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: Authz
Authentication Package: Kerberos
Workstation Name: <servername>
Caller User Name: <servername>$
Caller Domain: <our domain>
Caller Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7)
Caller Process ID: 1068
Transited Services: -
Source Network Address: -
Source Port: -

But I confirmed that these security failures are not occuring everytime that the files can't be accessed.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
ChuckG

ChuckG
-=-=-=-
Midnight Club BBS
telnet midnight-club.org

When your users are getting these messages how are they trying to open the XLS documents? Are they trying by selecting File and then choosing from the list of most recent files opened? Are the navigation via explorer to the mapped drive and double-clicking on the file?

The reason I asked the above is because I have seen the error message you describe when using either of the above two methods. If that is the case have a user try File/Open and then navigate to the mapped drive and open the file and see if the error message still appears.

Jim W MCSE CCNA
Network Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back