Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Access on OES2, NSS volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2006
US
We are in the process of migrating from NetWare 6.5 to OES2 sp3 on SLES 10.3. currently we have a single NSS volume on the new server, and have migrated shared documents for just our department as a test. what we find is that every once in a while, a file comes up as inaccessible. We can't copy it, can't open it, can't delete it, anything. Now, when we were testing this we tried files on an NCP mount which produced this same issue from time to time, and the consensus was to go to NSS. At the time when it was on NCP, we could browse to the file itself on the SUSE server, copy it to another location, and then we could access it just fine.

However, the NSS volume appears as a single file on the server, so now we can no longer access files directly from the server.

The question I have is twofold: 1. how do we access those files from the server itself, and 2. Has anyone run into this problem accessing files from an NSS volume (or for that matter, an NCP share)?

Thanks in advance.

Solved question 1, still need closure on question 2. We found out that we must be logged into the Linux server console as root in order to access the NSS volume directly. Question 2 still boggles us. We rebooted the server and that cleared up the problem but we don't want to have to reboot every time we run into this. Best-case, we'd like to not run into this issue at all. It seems to me that it's some kind of file-lock issue, and rebooting the server cleared it up, but we can't determine what it is exactly.

On NetWare there were settings called Client file Caching and Level 2 oplocks. Turning these on (default setting) led to similar behaviors and problems, so I always turned them off completely.

On OES2 Linux, you have similar issues/options..The file is ncpserv.conf and you should review the file locks section in this document:
I would just disable opportunistic locking completely. I've seen problems with locks when using database applications as well as regular ms office files.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Just to let you know, turning off Opportunistic locks (Op Lock Level =0 in Remote Manager) fixed the issue. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back