Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Access Denied when EXCL off in Windows 2000 environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

StorageLady

Programmer
Nov 27, 2001
US
We get intermittent "File Access Denied" messages when using FPW2.6A

We are on a Windows 2000 network. Users have read/write access to the files. Everyone has "Set EXCL Off"

To allow access once we receive the message, we have to reboot the server to release it.

Any suggestions?

On the newsgroups, one of the standard replies is to ask about Virus Checkers. Make sure that the VC is configured to have any runtime checking to ignore .DBF, .FPT and .CDX files (at least). For more details, see
- "HOWTO: Optimize Visual FoxPro Applications While Using Norton AntiVirus 2002"

Note: The basic information also applies to other AV apps depending on how they are implemented and how they can be configured.

Rick

I'm not using Visual. Is this fix appropriate for FPW?

Sorry, I should have been clearer - Yes it applies to all FoxPro versions. Basically the realtime VC will "notice" that your table was changed, so it will scan it for any viruses and until it's finished you won't be able to access the file! That's why it's important to "disable" the scanning of .DBF, .FPT and .CDX files. For some reason this is especially touchy on Win 2000 - whether it is a recent service pack (3 or 4) or a security patch, our users are seeing this more often in the last couple months (most are slow adopters, so the situation may have existed for a lot longer!). Note: Those that are using Novell file servers are NOT having this problem.

Rick

Thanks so much! I'll make sure to make those adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back