Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Field values not sorting on report per sort specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

lshippee

Technical User
Jul 19, 2000
US
I have a series of reports based on queries in a database that accepts data input via a web form. The queries were designed with ascending sorts on selected fields.

SELECT tblRegistrations.ProjectNo, tblWorkshops.WkshpName, tblRegistrations.LastName, tblRegistrations.FirstName, tblRegistrations.Position, tblRegistrations.District, tblRegistrations.AmtPaid, tblRegistrations.PayType, tblRegistrations.PONumber, tblRegistrations.DateRegist
FROM tblWorkshops LEFT JOIN tblRegistrations ON tblWorkshops.ProjectNumber = tblRegistrations.ProjectNo
WHERE (((tblRegistrations.ProjectNo)=[Type Project #]))
ORDER BY tblRegistrations.LastName, tblRegistrations.FirstName;

The sort/grouping dialogue box (in the report design view) also shows these selected fields sorted ascending BUT, the report does not preview with the selected fields sorted accordingly. I have reapplied the sort by indicating yes for OrderByOn in the properties for the report, but to no avail. Anyone have a thought about what the problem is and a solution could be? Thanks ever so much!

Well, I can tell you that having the orderby clause in the recordsource is 'nigh unto useless' (actually retro). When a Form/Report is opened in Ms. Access whith the Sorting & Grouping set, the little old lady ignores everthing except the recordset and does another query to get the records ordered by the Sorting and Grouping criteria.

So, in conclusion, I would look into the Report's Sorting and Grouping set-up.

MichaelRed
mred@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Thank you. I found that by rearranging the order of the fields to be sorted in the sorting/grouping setup, I was able to achieve the report I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back