Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Field Data Entry Help Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheilaBergman

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2007
Hello,

Is there a way to have a help dialogue box open when either a field is moused over or when a button next to a field is selected? I am looking for a way to let users know what the requirements are for the value of a specific field.

I'm new at FM scripting so please be as specific as practicle.

Thanks much!

Sheila Bergman
IS Tech
Midwest States Center

Depends which version of FileMaker you use.

In FM8 and up you can use the Tooltip function, if you have the advanced version. (can't remember if FM7 had already the tooltip)

In versions without the tooltip function (lower FM8) you have to make a workaround using some controlkeys and scripting.

Which version do you have ?

Thanks for your reply.
I have FM Pro 8.5 , not the Advanced version.

Sheila Bergman
Midwest States Center

The easy way around this, is that you find someone who has the Advanced version and ask to implement your 'Tooltips'.

The workaround in lower 8 was to work with the ModifierKey() function.
But then the user had to hold down a key while clicking on a field or button.
With the given native tooltips in the Advanced version (and the will work in the not-advanced version), the workaround is redundant.

If you can't find someone, I will be happy to do it for you...

HTH

Thanks Jean. I think that I will bite the bullet and upgrade to Advanced. It looks like I will be needing to do a fair amount of scripting etc. as I am doing a conversion from an online server-based database to Filemaker Donations 2.0 and will be doing lots of customizing as well.

You'll be hearing from me again I'm sure.

Sheila Bergman
Midwest States Center

No problem Sheila.

The possibility to make custom functions and a lot of other tools, native in the Advance version is the best investment if you want to go further in development.

Success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back