Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fibre daughter board signal specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron2100

Technical User
Jan 24, 2005
CA
Hi,

This is my first post here. I need to set up 2 expansion cabinets. Problem is one will be 90 kms away. I'll be using a multimode to single mode converter/repeater. I need to know what kind of signalling is coming off the fibre daughter board (T1?) and the length of the light signal (1300nm?)

Thanks!!

Ron

nortel will not support that, but i've pushed it out a little further then that.. have you looked at ip remotes instead.. still work over fiber, either single or multi and as long as your ip is up, your clean

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

From my experience of what we had to set up last fall when we were doing a staged move to a new building...

Running:
- Opt11c
- Rls4.5
- SSC with PPP IP connections to other cabinets

The cabinets were originally connected with one cross-over ethernet cable between each expansion cabinet and the main cabinet. We ordered two 10mb links from the telco, which they provisioned as two vlans on a cisco switch. It worked 100% from the start.

The key things about the connections:
- they need to, essentially, recreate the point to point connection between cabinets, so if you are vlan-ing, do it as one vlan per cabinet
- ours were provisioned as two isolated vlans over an (essentially) public network, I would imagine a dedicated fibre connection would be even better.

That being said, barring issues with distance (timing?) which johnpoole would know more than I about, you should be set.

max supported distance is 3km - industry standard 62.5/125um glass multi-mode duplex cable or 9/125um glass single mode duplex cable - ST connectors.

cable attenuation @ 1300nm, 1.5-2.0 dB/km (multi) or .5-.7 db/km (single)

Modal bandwidth @ 1300nm, 500 MHz*km

Thanks guys for all the help/options!!

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back