Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fibre Connection Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2004
CA
Hey all,

We have 2 remote offices linked back to the main using fibre. Currently using some old Baystack 430-24t switches (GBIC port). We have received some new Cisco SLM2024 switches with shared SFP port(s).

Does anyone know is made an adapter to connect the existing fibre cables to the Cisco SLM2024 SFP port, and if so could anyone suggest a vendor?

thanks

Sorry forgot tot add, the Baystack (GBIC port) I believe is a "SC-Type"?? connector (looking at fibre connector pictures) and the Cisco SLM2024 is an "LC-Type"??

I think that may depend what country your in.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

If your only problem is that you need to get an SC fibre plug into an LC connector, you just need a through-connector and a short SC-LC fibre patch lead. Make sure your new patch lead is the same grade as the existing fibre (single mode?).
Best to replace the existing fibre altogether, though, with a new one that has the correct LC end on it.
You'll need to make sure you get a Cisco SFP that matches the existing Baystack GBIC (ie, LX/LH/ZX).

Just use an "SC" to "LC" duplex patch cord of the ppropriate mode (SM or MM) and you should be fine.

Do you have a Fiber Optic Distribution Panel in the remote building? If you do then you need to find out what is the type of patch that is accepted at the patch panel. If it is 5 years and older, I think it is either a ST or SC then you need a patch cable to go from the panel to the switch. So the patch should be either ST or SC to LC.
If you don't have a panel then you need something like a plug to interface a SC to LC patch cable. I think either way you need multi-mode(MM) cable instead of Single Mode(SM) - based on the look of the existing cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back