Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fibre Channel Networking Info Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

awretchlikeme

Technical User
Dec 17, 2001
US
TECHNICAL INFO NEEDED
1. HOW TO WIRE THE DUAL PORTS FOR THE T-CARDS AND HOOK THEM UP TO TEST PERFORMANCE AND FUNCTION.
2. HOW TO SET UP A RAID 1 OR 5 CONFIGURATION AND WHAT EQUIPMENT IS NEEDED. (i.e. do I need a raid pci card or will the fc hba's do the job?)

BACKGROUND
I am in need of information from technical experts who know about fibre channel systems. I have learned what little I know from reading books purchased off the internet, reading articles at overclockers, and equipment(t-cards, fc sca40 drives, cables, 2 db9 hubs) I purchased over the last 4 yrs.

I am using host bus adapters on some of my office p.c.'s, copper and fibre optic. Once I get the hubs tested and setup I will move onto purchasing a fabric switch with GLM's for copper and fibre optic combined.

I ran into a technical lack of info. barrier about hooking up the second port on t-cards which are currently running at 1Gbit sec on hub and hba's without difficulty. If anyone has a wiring pinout to hook up and test the second port it would be helpful. I am using connectcom CSB-FC1000 hba's using t-cards and cat 5 cabling on 32bit pci 33mhs bus and 2 in one system and 1 in another unit tied into the hub. If anyone has information on how to configure the dual port function on the drives so I can test them running at 200MBSec it will be helpful. Once I get the dual channel functioning and understand how it works I will put the drives in a server ventilated case modified from an old cubix unit.

I am using some fibre channel drives and gadzoox copper db9 hubs for now until I can pick up a used fabric switch at low cost to test the fibre optics network on. My fibre optic hba' are old tachyon iphase chipset units which worked under nt4 but for which they have no nt5 or win2k drivers for. If anyone knows how to configure the cards or configure the nt4 drivers to work under win2kpro it would be helpful so I can test the fibre optic hba's.

I am on a shoe string budjet so I buy used parts off ebay and try them as they are available. I will try to build my own t-cards once I get the dual channel issue resolved.

Thanks for any information that will help.

Jesus and GOD Bless!

Jeff Vincelette c/o The Cross Training Center

Make 2 db9 emulex 6000/7000 hba cables to connect to the clan switch and use the software emulex clan to configure the network 100/200 Megabyte per second network connection. Look for tech. info. on the web e-bay sellers, etc. to configure the software. Jesus and GOD Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back