Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber remote question ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

coop333

Vendor
Jan 26, 2004
US
Can anyone tell me if single mode fiber will work for adding a fiber remote cabinet off an opt 81. I have a NT1P61BA fiber superloop network card with a NT1P63CA interface on the local side and a NT1P62EA fiber remote peripheral controller card with a NT1P63A interface on the remote side. If so does Nortel make a single mode jumper that we can use to get to the backplane or should I go straight ot the card. Also does anyone know if the fiber connectors used on the front of the cards is proprietary to Nortel I can't seem to figure out how to cnvert that to a standard ST connector. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

they do make the single node jumper but i have also went to the faceplate of the card and yes either will work,, nortel got that part right

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks! I finally found some documentation on that.

The Nortel jumper is kind of an armored duplex cable, designed to run from the front of the cabinet to the backplane adapter in the cable channels (you have probably already found that the connector used is an FC/UPC connector). However, since that cable is kind of pricey, I just order a 2 meter FC to FC duplex jumper from Fiberdyne Labs, with a 3/4" offset on one end to accommodate the optical packlet's downward-angled connectors. I run a piece of 3/4" PVC flex from the front to the back of the cabinet, and pull the regular jumpers into that for protection. It works great for much less money.

It works great for much less money... well stated, 12 bucks as opposed to 80 plus mark up.. not a big thing unless you need several dozen.. i've never had trouble making my own instead of buying the plastic armor version.. once that is in place and the switch is buttoned up, it doesn;t get much wear

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks guys I finally found the documentation I needed to verify that I had a single mode interface and jumper. I couldn't figure out what the connector was used on the card though so I appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back