Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber Optic Training for basic cabler guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

slomo54

Vendor
Sep 23, 2002
US
I live in Buffalo NY and would like to find out where I can go for training on fiber optic. ADI, my supplier talks about it but does not offer it.

Get in touch with the manufacturer of the equipment you plan on using. They usually will help train you.

I work in Rochester and we got training from our Anixter representative, Jim Byron 585-426-3440. I am pretty sure he is the rep for Buffalo as well. He is extremely helpful with planning and design too. Anixter sells FO cable, NIUs, enclosures, and the tool kit with the Unicam tool. He even lent his tool kit to us for our first two installations.
In NY training is also usually available at community colleges or BOCES too, but you have to pay for those. Jim taught us to use the Unicam tool in a half hour.

yeah, usually all reps will train you. i've been trained to terminate fiber by a couple companies (amp and anixter) for free with different cabling companies I worked for. if your company has a supplier tell them to find someone and I bet they will for free. if not there are plenty of resources on the web.

Contact Anixter they are a worldwide distributor that may be able to help you.

Anixter - Rochester office

585-426-3440

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back