Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber optic connection to a remote building

Status
Not open for further replies.

manch03

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2003
US
I recently connected a remote building via single mode fiber. I have a 3com switch with a fiber module, but my login is really slow as is the connectivity. Do I need a server in that location to authenticate and route? There are only 6 users in that building and I thought I could get away with no server.

I would check your duplex on each end. Traditionally fiber technologies do not autonegotiate, so the duplex may vary at each end. This will not effect pings, but will cripple throughput. (While full on both ends is preferred, half on both ends will be faster than a mismatch, never leave any leg of a fiber connection on auto)

If the 6 are on the same subnet as the other end, no server SHOULD be needed.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

The duplex on the switch? How do I do that? Do you mean the 6 users in the same subnet (domain?)

Without a model number for the switch this is as close as I can get to the documentation for your swittch

if the 6 users at one end of the fiber are in the same subnet as the users at the other end of the fiber, I do not think they need a seperate server.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

It is a 3com 1100 switch with a fiber module (sx model) I have ordered an 1000 gb lx and hopefully that improve the speed. I suspect it is the module - I am pushing the limits. Thank you for help. I really appreciate it.

We have 30 users connecting down a 100MB FD Fibre with no speed issues at all we use 2 No 4400 3com switches and monitor it using 3Com's Network Supervisor. This monitors stress on each link etc. I agree with Jimbo and tend to think that it's a duplex issue and don't think that a 1GB will be cost effective. If your switch has a static IP you should be able to Web browse to it and check each ports setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back