Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fiber -- monomode/multimode

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiptek

MIS
Sep 17, 2002
US
by the way is it possible to terminate a fiber as multimode when the current connector is monomode i.e cut out the mono and terminate a new multimode connector? the current backbone setup is mono mode but due to expansion,the new switches that arrived are mulimode.

===>
kip

Kiptek. I found something else that may be of some use to you. It is a mode conditioning cable. This would be single mode on one end and multimode on the other. I also checked into the converters and they are very expensive. You can look at these cables at

Mikey

thanks for the responses y'all.

===>
kip

I've never seen a mode conditioning cable, has anyone ever used onve of these and have any experience? Just curious if it really performs well enough to allow complete translation between the two.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Daron, I ran into this yesterday afternoon while trying to resolve a simular problem myself. I have a building that is about 2 blocks away. I have single mode to the building. I have a small building wthin 150' of this that has multimode ran into the main building. I needed something that I could connect this small building with. I called the above mentioned tech suport and they assured me that i could still run gig across this setup. I will let you know if it works or not.

Mikey

A mode conditioning cable is used in gigabit ethernet environments and does't replace a converter.

From what I read, that mode conditioning cable is essentially a way to condition the laser used in single mode environments before forcing it into a multimode channel. I agree, I don't think it is designed as a converter at all.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

This is from non-use experience, just hear-say, but I was under the impression that a mode conditioning patch cord was to take the widely dispered modes of an LED on 62.5 and focus them (actually, I think it absorbs the wider ends of the modes) so that only the modes that are going more straight down the fiber are present. I think that the purpose is to get better through-put and/or length to get Gig on older 62.5.
It's also my understanding that they are very expensive. I've never needed them, so I haven't looked to hard.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

Mode conditioning patch cord is used in a situation where the backbone cable is multimode and the optical interface on the switch port is having 1310nm laser source. Currently you have monomode backbone cable already installed and the switch ports are having multimode (I presume it as 850nm) interface. In this scenario mode conditioning patch cords will not work. You have to use an electronic media converter only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back