Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber Installation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

telone

Vendor
Nov 28, 2003
US
I Need A To Install In a 2 Inch Under Ground Conduit A Fiber Cable with 6-Strands
The Question Would Be That The First Run Is About 850' Then From End Of That Run I Have Two Other Locations To Connect First Connection Is 250' From First Run Second Is 250'From Second Point. Can I Run 1- 6 Strand To 850' Then Terminate And Run 2-6 Strand 250' And Send Those Cables Back Home On Matching Strands With No DB Loss Or Do I Need To Run 3-Homerun Cables ?????

You will always have db loss. It depends on what you plan to do with the fiber, what type fiber it is and what you are driving it with. six strand will allow for three circuits so it is do-able.

Thanks For Reply
I Will Install Multi-Mode 62.5 This Is Needed For 3 Access Points To Support Cordless Phones Antenas

If your terminations are good, the "splice" or connections in the middle should not be a concern. While keeping intermediary connections to a minimum is a good practice, as long as the overall circuit loss meets specs your devices will work like a champ.
MIKE

If you connect your fibers like you mentioned, you will not have any extra capacity at all on the 850'leg. You are probably better off running the 3 homerun cables and then you don't have to worry about db loss either.

If I understand this correctly, you want to make one run from point “A” to point “B”, and then run from point “B” to point “C” and point “D”, sort of a “Y” configuration?
If this is so, I would run a 12 strand fiber between points “A” & “B”, then a 6 strand between points “B” & “C” and “B” & “D”. The splices, if done properly, will give negligible loss. The runs are so short you will likely never know they are there.

Just enjoying the read and information but have a question...

Is it planned to actually splice or terminate and patch?

i would also run a larger count cable to the first point if there is room for a WIC at that point I would run a 2 strand to the other access points where a 6 strand might be overkill also ther are the details and specs of the job I am not privy to so make good well informed concise decisions and have confidence in your decisions whatever they are and you will be fine in this and any other endeavor you chose to undertake. Since I have been watching"Deadwood" on HBO I find it hard just to answer a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back