Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

few questions on Paradox windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocmisc

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
US
I know paradox 4.5 for DOS like the back of my hand and have been programming in it for years. Now I suppose it is time to at least start learning paradox for windows so my questions are:

1. which version of paradox for windows would you start the learning curve on? A consideration here is the quality of the manuals/outside books available.
2. where do I buy it?
3. is the table creation, modification, queries, etc. much different than paradox DOS?

Many thanks
rocmisc

Get the books from Paradox 7.

Get Paradox 9 and update to sp3 (NOT sp4).

Or Paradox 10 to latest sp.

Everything is completely different from PDOXDOS to PDOXWIN.

However, not difficult (items you mention).

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

thank you Tony. Do you know where can I buy the pdoxwin ver 7 books and the pdoxwin ver 9 program with the update? I might as well get started.

rocmisc

Well, e-Bay is the most obvious answer.

Watch out, though, they'll skin you if they can.

The other site is
Steven Green usually has most older versions (back to pdoxDOS); I'd actually check his site, and e-mail him, before trying out e-Bay. He's likely to be more reasonably priced. And he is above reproach as a business person.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

rocmisc,

It's not too difficult upgrading from DOS to Windows as the data can be transported. Depending upon your programming skills the learning curve can be quite steep - well it was for me! As for books, there are several sights on the net that deal in secondhand books and I found it quite easy to find several books and manuals. However the best resource has to be this forum, the help i have been given over the years...I just can't thank everyone enough........thanks everyone.

Lewy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back