Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Few questions from Novice access user: Union, makeTable, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxonomy

Technical User
Dec 15, 2003
US

1. Using an Access query...
How can I add a column(field) to the end of a local table and add a uniform entry to every row of that column(field)?

2. While importing tables from another database using statements like:

SELECT [externalTable].* INTO internalTable
FROM [externalTable] IN 'externalDB.mdb';

How can I do the same if the external database is password protected? Is there a name to automatically include the password with the query designs?

3. If I want to import tables, add fields, and combine the tables, can I acheive this in just one Query, or is it necessary to use a makeTable query, Append query as well as a union query?

Thank you so very much!!!!

Oh, in statement 2....I meant "Is there a WAY".
Sry.

1. How can I add a column(field) to the end of a local table and add a uniform entry to every row of that column(field)?

I think you mean something like:
Code:
SELECT TableName.*, "SomeText" As OtherField FROM TableName

3. If I want to import tables, add fields, and combine the tables, can I acheive this in just one Query, or is it necessary to use a makeTable query, Append query as well as a union query?
Depending on exactly what you need to do a combination of all these things are possible, whether or not you HAVE to use a makeTable query really depends on the specifics of what you are trying to do.

HTH

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for database developers:
The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design
Understanding SQL Joins

The statement doesnt add DAC to every input-row in the "Bucket" column which it successfully created.

Pls help!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back