Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

few mac OS 8.5.2 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

QUADPUMP

Technical User
Nov 16, 2002
US

I am a tech for PCs and need to learn about a powermac running 8.5.2.

Is there a way to make emergency boot diskettes ? or any kind of system diskettes?

Also, when it boots, i have "sorry, a system error occurred" and advises to "hold the shift key" to turn off the extensions and reboot.

Is there a way to turn on some of the extesions after system reboots ?

Is this a generic driver problem ? what are the troubleshooting sequence on this type of problems..

any other tips are appreciated..

thanx in advance.

k, make that 8.5.1 ?!!!!

Also, the CD Rom Drive Icon doesn't show on the desktop , how should i trouble shoot this?

how's it that related to extensions (i understand extensions are like device drivers)?

In the apple menu (usually) is Apple System Profiler, in the Devices and Volumes tab it should admit if the CD is visible to the OS

early powerMacs may have a SCSI CD Rom,this utility looks at your SCSI chains for devices.
in apple menu control panels is the extension manager, with it you can decide which extensions to try to use on boot up. I would write down or print all it is trying now then try only apple supplied extensions.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Playing on jimbo's sig line, here's a childlike thought...

Do you even have a CD in the drive? I see you are PC and used to PCs showing drives even if there is no media. A CD icon will not mount unless a CD is inserted. There should be no SCSI issues if you have no other SCSI devices connected externally.

now back to more grownup ideas...

Is there a way to make emergency boot diskettes ? or any kind of system diskettes?
- It is not easy to do from a screwy system. You should locate a system CD. Every Mac comes with one. You can boot from the CD by holding down the 'C' key.

Without a system CD on hand, your Mac is spare parts.

- - picklefish - -

Thank you for excellent posts. both were very helpful,

Since I have the extensions off, I don't think i can use the CD drive for the upgrade to 8.6 yet... generally, is that safe thou? having problems with one OS and overwriting it with the upgrade?

Q. What would the name for CD drive extensions file be?

Q. Also, how do I activate some extension and not others? do I simply remove the unwanted ones from the extension folder?

Q. I dont' seem to find where the time is set also ? (is having extensions off anything to do with that?)

I haven't run the scsi util, since my other computer is a PC and am not able to make a floppy to run on powermac..

any suggestions b4 i reach my 20th try? again thnx for previous comments... excellent dude!!

k,

I fixed the CD and extensions issue... I would like to know about the battery type used on powerpc for the time/date function..

In the control panel is extention manager. from here you can turn on/off extensions with a checkbox and save multiple extension setups, you will need to restart after all changes because the extensions are read once at startup. for this type of problem I would startup with extensions off then use the extension manager to turn off half the extensions and restart if you don't have tre problem you know the problem is with one of the extesions that are off. Keep this up till you narrow it down to the one that is causing your problem.
Also the Time/Date is set from the control panel under the apple. You can enable/disable items in the control panel from the extension manager too.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back