Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fetching objects from livelink - object exporter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dheeya

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2014
US
Hi All,

My current requirement is to fetch a set of objects(mostly .pdf & .doc) from livelink to and provide the data to other team..(Sharepoint) , They will consume the data.

In this case can we use object exporter to fetch the data and put it in some location. Will the data will be in usable format for sharepoint.
Please advise.

Thanks

have you even tried a sample export.The exported files can be consumed by another livelink system that is what it is designed for.API's may be better for your stuff otherwise you will end up doing some good work on re-parsing the xml and trying to fit into a consumable a manner.For one the data will look like cdata/base64 implementation ,the load file will have the mime .On the revesre process the object importer will parse each line and make it good for another livelink .Several other companies make transfer between systems products as well.I would use API's.

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Thanks appnair!

I have never tried Object exporter. unfortunately we don't have admin access. We are in analysis and we are doing a POC.
I have gone thru the old threads replied by you,

if we create a control xml

<? xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<export>
<node>
<location>Enterprise:EMPID:XXX</location>
<docstorage>E\OE\Destination\</docstorage>
</node>
</export>

___________ What are the contents we can expect under destination .. will there be a xml file and a folder full of data?
In this case are we supposed to parse the xml (resulted by the object exporter) to the consumable format of sharepoint? Will this retains the hierarchy of the data.

Sorry insufficient knowledge in OE.

Thanks again!

Yes the destination will just contain data and data only for e.g if a folder in livelink under a long lengthy path. Hierarchy is to be exported the process will make a XML node entry in the logs directory you configure inside that you will see the file location under the destination as a technical .dat representation.If a word document for eg .docx is encountered it will probably be encoded not encrypted. The object importer parser will look at the OI control file and suck these files one by one . In your case you have really no advantage as you will have to replicate what the OI is doing line by line.

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Thanks appnair,
So as you said, it seems to be difficult parsing needed to be done to achieve this.

i can try fetching documents from livelink using LAPI , can you please share any sample LAPI i can try initially.

Hi,

I have few queries . please provide inputs.

1.How to differntiate Folder and Document shortcuts using Search service.
2. Getting the folder/Document path using search service.

Regards,
Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back