Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEM Hardware Support on a BCM 450

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTL555

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
US
I know the FEM module on the BCM 400 required a DS-30 bus for every dip switch set to the on position, but the BCM 450 is different. The manual says to have all switches on and configure it in the manager and the limitation is 300 sets, but my question is about capacity on that FEM and the BCM 450 itself. Sorry, I dont have a FEM Module to test this with.

With a BCM 450 r1.0 or even the r5.0 with a CEC card and 1 Expansion Unit, does that mean I can utilize 10 MBM and 6 legacy modules? Or does the FEM still use up an entire slot/bay like in the BCM 400.

For example:
1x FEM MBM with 6x 0x16,
6x DSM32+ MBM,
1x GATM8 MBM,
2x T1 MBM

With that configuration I am at 288 digital Station, and 56 Trunks. Well under the CEC limits.

Thanks in advance.

NTL555

Right out of the 450 Install manual.

Fiber expansion module configuration

The Fiber Expansion media bay module (FEM) connects a maximum of six
Norstar expansion modules (Norstar TM, Norstar SM, and Norstar ASM) to
the Business Communications Manager system. These connections provide
a quick way to upgrade a Norstar system to a Business Communications
Manager system.
The front bezel of the FEM has six connectors. These connections are made
using fiber cables between the FEM module and the Norstar expansion
modules. Beside each connector, an LED lights when the fiber port is enabled.
BCM450 supports one FEM installed in the main unit. Ensure that all dip
switches are set to the On (up) position before installing the FEM. After the
FEM is installed, ensure that all six connector LEDs are on.

I read that as well in the installation manual.

My question is that if you max out all the bays with the FEM installed in the BCM 450 (10 bays used).. does that mean you have an additional 6 legacy modules available for use.

NTL555

That's a legit configuration. Your FEM will reside in the main unit and the system will assign the appropriate bus numbers. All you do is assign the module type to the slot number so I'm not sure what the reference is to "legacy" bus numbers. Just make sure you set the dip switches correctly.

As for being under the CEC limit, you can still add 12 IP sets (with appropriate licensing) to bring you up to the 300 maximum.

Not all configurations will automatically add up to the statutory maximums.

Thanks for the response...

I called it the old legacy stuff because the BCM 450 uses slot instead of buses. The old BCM 400 4.0 would use bus number 2 thru 7. If you wanted to use Bus 2 you would set switch 1 on the FEM module on and the rest off and if you wanted to use Bus 3 you would set switch 2 on and the rest off.

It just sounded odd that I can use 96 digital sets on one slot using the FEM MBM in the BCM 450 and get 96 digital sets, add 2 more DSM32 and a PRI MBM and then have a total configuration 23 PRI Trunks x 160 digital sets without an expansion unit. The last time I used a FEM module was in the BCM 400 4.0 and it was not feasible at all.

NTL555

As you know, you don't set dip switches for busses on the modules that are installed in the main unit. That's the beauty of the 450. You just tell it through the telephony resources screen what module you put in there and it tells you what the port numbers are. Those port numbers are tied to the slot but we don't control or assign them. That's why you can have all 96 digital sets connect through what appears to be one bus.

You only need the expansion cabinet if you run out of physical slots for the modules. You do need the CEC card if you go over 100 extensions though, with or without an expansion cabinet.

I've never put an FEM in a 450 but I suspect that if you did put one into slot 2, you would wind up with ports 20xx, 21xx, 22xx, 23xx etc. (assuming they were all 0X16s). I have a 5.0 to install next week so I'm going to try setting it with one just to see if my logic is correct.

Cheers to that. I love no longer looking in the manual for dip switch settings.

I never put in a FEM module as well in a 450, but I guess I will have to try once my FEM comes in. Thanks for all the help!

NTL555

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back