Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Feelings about ClearType?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2001
US
Has anybody tried using the ClearType setting?

Under "Display Properties," "Effects" button, "Use the following method to smooth..."

I know this is really an LCD monitor setting, but I've seen people advocating it for CRTs too.

At 1024x768 TrueColor on my 17" CRT everything looks a bit blurred (I know, that's basically how it works), but some fonts look great while others suck (more blurry than I can tolerate).

Opinions?

Anyone tried it on LCDs?

Go ahead and try it. It certainly improved the view on my analogue monitor. I'm sure you'll have good results. And anyway, if you don't like it you can always turn it off. :)

Jazzgirl

Hello... I did try this options on my PB 800/600 monitor but it turned out to be blurry; like looking at the monitor thru a thick layer of cobwebs. Have wondered if this is indicative of other CRT's.

Robert

I to have turned this on. It does help my analog monitor look better, but the CRT really looks blurry. It is anoying.

Carlos

Looks great on my CRT monitor at 1024x768. I've been using it since I installed XP. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

lol... LOOKS AMAZING on my EXTEMEMLY old monitor?... I can't even guess when this thing was made... has to be 15 years old or somethin like that... but Clear Type works great.. thanks for lettin me know about it!

jesuspower had the right idea. You need to go to the Microsoft ClearType site and pick the font, and font characteristics you want:

"Our updated ClearType Web interface for Windows XP allows users with Windows XP Service Pack 1 to configure ClearType for the rare BGR configuration of color LCD monitor as well as the more common RGB displays."

You get a selection of fonts and pages of font characteristics that lets you pick one that appears the clearest on your monitor. Bookmark the site because you might find after a few hours/days that you might like another selection instead.

hi,
better picture with ''clear type'' on my samsung sm 191t lcd. win xp pro, sp1, no extra install fonts, drivers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back