Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJRBIM

MIS
May 30, 2003
CA
Wrote the CRCP Exam (Level 1) today.

Passing mark is 65%, and I passed with a 69%.

I've never done certification testing before, so this could just be the way they set exams for that purpose - but the whole process seemed totally disconnected from my day-to-day job of creating and publishing Crystal Reports.

I had assumed that the exam problems would be complex report specs that I would have to be solve and results would be based on the evaluation of your RPT files. Not even close...

It's a computer-based exam with 52 random questions. They give you 85 minutes, but I was done in about 25. All the questions are text-based (you never touch or see and actual Cystal Reports application screen). It's either multiple choice or "select all that apply".

To me, it felt like going back and doing your written "Driver's Ed" exam after driving for 20 years. The questions didn't seem all that attached to the real world and were directed more to repeating phrases from the User Manual - than actually applying it in practice.

That being said, I passed - and I intend on doing both the CECP and CRCP programs over the next six-months.

If anyone else does the exams, please post your feedback.

Thanks for posting some feedback on the exam.

If you don't mind, could you give a little info on your background and what you did to study?
Have you taken any CR classes in the past?
Are you planning on taking any of the courses before taking the exams?

I am just trying to get a feel so that I can get an idea of what I should do to prepare. I took the Report Design 1,2,& 3 classes for 8.5 a few years ago. I think I have a very good grasp on all that material. Do you feel that knowledge is sufficient enough to take the first exam? How much on the exam was geared towards v10?

~Brian

I've been a Crystal Reports user for about 8 years (starting with version 7).

I took Report Design 1, 2, 3 (for version 8 - I think) years ago, and have taken the one-day Report Design 3 class for 8.5 and 9.0 when they were relased. I did this just to get a "hands-on" of the new functions in a classroom setting.

I have also taken the CE 8.5 ADMIN course, and most of my daily work is as a SYS ADMIN for CE 8.5 and 9.0 environments (we're testing CE-10 also), including debugging other people's RPTs.

To prep for the exam, I went through the exam outline in the PDF at the bottom and worked through any topics I was unsure of (like "business views") using CR-10 and the CR-10 user manual. It gave me the "warm fuzzies", but didn't really prepare me for the test - since, as I said above the exam was all text-based.

The exam did ask questions about CR-10 specific functions like "format painter", so you should have a little hand-on with the product before the exam.

My strategy going forward is to take the exam first for $150 (US), if I pass it great - saves me the class fees! If I fail, then I'll have a better idea of the exam information I should focus on in the class.

Thanks MJRBIM - I am also considering taking the certification exams, but wondering what the benefits may be.

It seems a bit strange that the exams don't actually touch the Crystal application. From what you've said it would appear that having a photographic memory of the manual is more useful than any report-writing ability; is that a fair comment?

I'll take your advice and work through the exam outline and make sure that I am confident with all topics before committing myself - I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

John

QUOTE (johnstrang) :

"From what you've said it would appear that having a photographic memory of the manual is more useful than any report-writing ability; is that a fair comment?"

That's a great way to put it. Questions are all text based - not using the application to solve report problems.

I'm planning on doing the Level 1 CECP exam for Crystal Enterprise this month. I will start a new thread for that exam when I complete it.

I am taking the exam in June and all of your posts have helped so much. I was grasping for a way to study for the exam. I have been working with Crystal for 6 years. I guess I better start reading eh?

I'm planning on getting the CRCP certification, too. Do I need to complete the 3 exams (levels 1 to 3) to be certified, or I can jump to level 3 exam and if I passed I get the certification?

~Pepperdec

My understanding is that you have to pass all three exams....

I have passed the first two CRCP exams (taking OLAP as my elective subject). I’ve being working full time as a Report Writer for five years, but found the exams odd in their approach.

As stated by others, it is more a case of knowing the help files than how to write reports. Though with all the ways to do develop, it is probably the only practical way to do things.

An added problem for me personally was that a level of Crystal Enterprise knowledge was expected, I’d never used / seen it.

Which brings us to the third exam. Half the exam is Business Objects, I’ve never seen it and am sure I could last the rest of my working life without it. It’s inclusion seems to be a marketing ploy by Crystals new owners rather than a valid / related subject.

The second half is about Report Design and appears to be based on a specific methodology that is only available through the instructor lead course (I don’t know if they are even held in the UK).

My advice to anyone thinking about taking the CRCP is to read and memorise everything in the help files (Enterprise and Reports) because any tiny obscure bit of it can be the basis of a question. Also, knowing how to do something is not enough, a lot of questions focus on listing ALL the ways of doing something.

On the whole, the CRCP has done me good. I have learnt areas of Crystal Reports I wouldn’t have normally looked at and could pick up someone else’s reports regardless of how they wrote them.

Hope this helps someone, will post again when I’ve taken the third exam.

Passing mark for CRCP Exam Level 1 is 65%.
Passing mark for Level 2 is 75%.
Does someone know passing mark for Level 3?

I have not tried any exam yet and planned to take next week. Just would like to know if these 3 exams are the only requirements to get the certification. Maybe Crystal has other surprise like take "a must" e-learning or other blah blah blah that's not even in our place yet. Anybody who has successfully gotten the certificate?

~pepperdec

The pass mark for the Level 3 exam is 80%. I passed it on June 7th and have not received my certificate.

I was told that they are processed at the end of the month and then mailed.

I took the CRCP Exam 1 today and passed with a mark of 87%. I went through the WBT's for CR 10 Design 1 and 2 before taking the exam. I would say that all the exam questions were covered somewhere in the training material. There are quiz questions in the material and some of them were on the exam, almost word for word.

~Brian

I am sitting CRCP Exam 1 in ten days time - Brian - could you tell me where to find the WBT's you mentioned? They sound like what I am looking for.

regards,
Sarah

Unfortunately, you have to pay BO to get access to them. The content is the same as the books you get from taking one of their courses, so if you have that material from a previous version, you can start there. If you do that, you would just need to get familiar with the newer content.

The WBT's are half the price of the instructor led training, but they are still pricey themselves. If your company will pay for it, then it may be worth your while.

~Brian

I just took the CRCP exam today and passed with 67%. Geez, I almost failed! And to think I've been developing reports for 3 years. Some of the questions.. or I think most of them are new features of Crystal 10. You only have either multiple choice or select all that apply. And I was given 55 questions. Time given is more than enough actually. Each question does not take time to answer -- it's just either u know the answer or you have not memorized them. For me, I think just reading or "memorizing" what's in the help file is OK. And for competencies of exam level, your guide is this file:

Overall, you must know all of Crystal features. And all ways to do them.

For the next level, I don't plan to enroll in any course or buy learning materials. The help file is complete, I will use the exam guide and have little actual application. I'll let you know if this works..

pepperdec

I sat the first exam yesterday and passed (by the skin of my teeth) with 65%. I have been developing reports for about four years and had taken the courses Report Design I and II in 2002 and 2003. Having read all the above posts, (and given that I am working with Crystal V8.5!) I thought that I should just give the exam a go and if I failed, so be it - at least I would know how to study and what to study for! I also studied the New Features of V10 as specified on the BO website. The best advice I could give to anyone sitting this exam? STUDY THE HELP FILES. As pepperdec states, it's not enough just to know your stuff, your terminology must be correct and your knowledge of each function must be COMPLETE.

Sarah

I took the exam on Thursday and passed with a score of 83. The test was hard. I've been working with CR since version 7 and I was still felt stumped on a few questions. I didn't take any formal class, but reviewed the Help files for all competencies outlined in the Exam Information Guide.

What version of Crystal Report Help file do we need to look at to prepare for the exam ?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back