Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fedora Core 5 and VMWare 5.5 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

explainer06

Technical User
May 31, 2006
US
I am planning to use VMWare in a mixed network of Linux and Windows workstations, with each OS hosting the other on some of the workstations. I downloaded an eval copy of each VMWare package and installed the Windows version on a Windows 2000 Professional system. I have used earlier versions of VMWare, so this was just an upgrade from 4.x and 5.0.
I ran some of my existing vm images, both w2k and red hat linux, and things went smoothly. I then attempted to build a Linux guest vm image from a Fedora Core 1 CD set I got in the "Linux for non-geeks" book (I had just installed this successfully on a t41p thinkpad native). I found that the install could not recognize the VMWare video driver and would therefore fail when it attempted to start the X-server. I tried this several times with identical failures.
Then I decided to try a later version of Fedora Core (5) to see if this problem still persists in the latest release. I downloaded the FC5 dvd iso and burned a DVD. I configured a linux vm image, dropped in the DVD, and let it go. This time, the install does not recognize the VMWare SCSI Controller and insists that there is no file storage allocated and also quits.

What is happening here? I thought that the VMWare vm was designed to have generic interfaces (SCSI) so this sort of thing didn't occur.

I welcome any and all suggestions.

Have you looked at the VMWare support site to ensure your hardware is supported?

I have run windows vms hosted by this same VMWare Workstation instance, so I fail to see how my hardware could be the problem. If it works for VMWare for a windows guest, why won't it work for a Linux guest? It is a software simulation of a SCSI device mapped on to an IDE hard drive, after all.

Try creating a CUSTOM VM. When you get to SCSI devices, select LSILOGIC. I found that BUSLOGIC doesn't work on Fedora Core.

BTW, I'm not sure about this, but I think Fedora Core 5 is not yet supported. Check VMware's website to verify this.

Microsoft Certified Nut.

I have FC5 running on Workstation 5.5.1 using Cutom VM, Other Linux Kernel 2.6 and Bus Logic.

So far it has worked fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back