Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fedora 7 installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonriver13

Technical User
Dec 17, 2004
US
Hello,

I appreciate for any suggest. I am new to Linux. I am strying to install Fedora 7 on my old PC(ASUS motherboard P4S533-mx). This is clean installation. Insert Fedora DVD, boot PC system, going into graphic installation, Partition hardrive, load all package, complete copy all driver and package. After installation program complete load all package, It reboot the system. It's going into linux boot loader. It load all driver in command mode for 5 second then it give me blank screen for 2 hours. My guess is linux is not recognize my graphic card. Any body have any suggestion will be great.

Thanks

Thanks stefanwagner. Ctr-Alt-F1 take me back to console mode but It hang at checking bridge firewalling register.
Any comment would be very nice

Thanks

I had the same problem with my laptop with an ATI Graphics card. From what I remember, the problem appeared to be that the Xorg software was at an incompatable configuration with the graphics card.

I went to FC8 and everything is fine now.

Old Tech Guy

I have tried FC8 but I am still getting the hang after the kenel is loading ect/fstab/swaps. Any suggest would be nice

Thanks

Try booting up in run level 1 and see how far you get.

1) When grub comes up and starts to count down hit the space bar
2) A grub menu will pop up. Your default kernel should be highlighted.
3) hit the 'a' on your keyboard to go into append mode.
4) hit <space> and type a '1'
(that's a one) above

Now see if it boots. If it still locks up, choose a different kernel. I don't use FC 7 but I assume there is maybe an SMP kernel and maybe a xen kernel. See if either lets you come all the way up. This is not a fix if it comes up, it only serves as a datapoint for moving on to the next troubleshooting step.

Just out of curiosity... how old is the monitor that you're plugging into the box?

I had a new PC but an old 15" monitor on a box I installed recently... and the problem was that the monitor couldn't handle the resolution. It displayed the exact same symptoms... went blank upon booting up, and I was sure it was a video incompatibility issue. It turned out that when I plugged a newer monitor in, it was able to understand the resolution being output and it turned out the system had been fine all along. Just a thought.

Ben
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't. - Douglas Adams

Does the GRUB menu give you optional kernels to load?
If so, use the other kernels to see if you can get started,
then do a system update with yum.

If not, try using a very plain video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back