Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Feature Option Setup Charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisP520

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2006
US
Greetings:

I am running Progression 7.6.300C on MSSQL 2000. I'm trying to find a way to deal with set up charges in metal fabrication.

We fabricate metal face plates. When we punch metal to accomodate connectors, each punch type has an associated setup cost. This set up cost is amortized over the number face plates to be produced.

In addition, we only charge a setup charge for each type of punch once per plate job, that is, the entire quantity of plates to be produced. So, if I were to make fifty plates with three half inch holes in it, I would only charge the setup charge once for the entire run of fifty plates.

Since the nature of this business is completely customized, putting this into a BoM isn't suitable. I was wondering if there was a way to do this with a Feature Option Item.

Just so you all know, we do not run Shop Floor Control. We run Bill of Materials and Production Order Processing. This is because the actual metal fabrication happens out of house to our specification and we are essentially assembling the face plates.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

We have a non-stocked item called "Setup" that is charged once per job. Each part then has its BOM, unit cost and unit price.

I hope that is helpful.

You could use flexibility to see if the setup had ever been charged before for that particular item, then display a message to be sure to charge setup fees.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

Randva,

Thank you for the reply. Are you saying that you include this non-stocked item called SETUP in the Feature Option Configuration? If so, how do you charge only once per job? If I order 20 Feature Option items on a customer order, each option will be mulitplied by the quantity ordered.

If you could expand on how you do this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris

Flexibility is needed to make sure you charge only once. This is why I made the suggestion.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

Here is an oversimplied way that you may try. If you use Feature and options you could set up an item for setup and charge a dollar each for it and when you set the option set it so you can choose the quantity. Once you have done the math to determine the amorized set up charge and assume it is 1.23 each you would select a quantity of 1.23 each. This would add $1.23 to the price. It should support the cost also but that may be a bit different. You would also have the option of not charging a set up if you didn't want to by selecting a quantity of zero. You will need to flesh this out but it should get you started

Steve Henley
Trianglepartners.com
Exact Software consulting, sales and implementations.

If the only tool you can use is a hammer then all your problems look like nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back