Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Feathering

Status
Not open for further replies.

soledadsister

Technical User
Apr 25, 2006
GB
Hiya.

Can any kind person out there tell me how to feather just one or 2 edges of an image? Or if this can be done?

Cheers. :0)

I did a quick experiment in IDCS2 this morning, having never used the feather feature. I made a square with a fill of NONE and a 3 pt black stroke.
I put a feather on it, then i took the scissors tool and clicked at opposite diagonal corners. The resulting selection was 2 sides of the 4 sided shape.
I just removed the feather from that, leaving a solid stroke on 2 sides, and a feathered edge on the other 2.
Hope it helps,
Mark

Mark, you're an angel. I've never used the scissors tool but I'll have a good play and see what i come up with. Could be a diabolical mess but at least now I know it CAN be done.

Cheers mate.

When you use the scissors tool in that way, though, it adds a line between each diagonal point and feathers that line, too. So in a square image, once scissored, you get a feathered triangle... But I can't think of another way...

Really? I didn't get a diagonal line when I was playing.
Hmm. I love a mystery.
Mark

There is something else you can try. Make a box with your background color and put a feather on it. Then overlap this box on the edges of the photo you want faded.

Another option is to fill the photo's box with white or your background color and apply a feather. You can adjust where the feather is by sizing the box.

Last, but very useful, is the paste into command, accessible with a right click. Copy a box that has a feather, then paste it into another box. Make sure your new box has the feather turned off and you can use the outside box to crop the feather out. This lets you make transparent fades on one side of a box and works with outlined text.

J.

Mark, you didn't get a diagonal? Hmmm. Maybe I've done something wrong. I placed an image into a box, feathered it, scissored the bottom-left to top-right corners and removed the feather from half of it. This is what I got.

scissor.jpg

Mark, you didn't get a diagonal? Hmmm. Maybe I've done something wrong. I placed an image into a box, feathered it, scissored the bottom-left to top-right corners and removed the feather from half of it. This is what I got.

scissor.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back