Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fdisk problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

collilia

Technical User
Aug 6, 2002
I have an 8gb hdd with primary partition fat16 2.1gb and remainder as extended dos partition.
when I try to remove the extended dos partition I get a message saying to remove logical drive first but when I try to remove logical drive fdisk tells me that there are no logical drives present.Is there any other way of deleting both partitions on the drive. ?

p.s at present the primary partition is formatted.

Regards,
Liam.

I use aefdisk. You can get it at

Put it onto your boot floppy, then type aefdisk /delall to delete all partitions. Fair warning, it will not ask if you are sure--it just does it. Very cool software, but of course, read the documentation and use at your own risk! Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

BTW, you can just delete specific partitions as well. Didn't mean to imply that complete deletion is the only option!! Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Thanks mudskipper.
much appreciated.

Liam.

Here's another way , if needed .

Freeware .
WIPE OUT : as the name implies, this utility will absolutely WIPE your hard drive. For those
times when an industrial strength cleaner is needed to remove any pesky files Fdisk may have
left behind. A readme file is included in the zip file. WARNING...WIPE OUT will remove ALL data
from the Hard Drive.

WARNING
The use of WIPEOUT can and will result in the loss of ALL data on your hard drive.
DIRECTIONS

1- Unzip file
2- Copy WIPEOUT to a Win9x boot disk
3- Boot with Win9x disk
4- At the A:\> type "wipeout c: /nq /np" (no quotes)
/nq = no queries - you will not be asked if you are sure.
/np = no partitions - this will overwrite the MBR

Press Enter .

Now run fdisk to set up partitions .
When done reboot & format .

@jmatt
aefdisk done the trick nicely,but it's always nice to have a backup plan.
Cheers.

Liam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back