Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fdisk error "unable to access drive 1"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I ran a multiple boot for mandrake 8.2 and win me. Now I want to repartition the drive for win 2000.

When using fdisk for partitioning I get this message "unable to access drive 1". I have tried the hidden fdisk commands to force a new primary partition, ext and log partition this does not work. I have tried fips partitioning this does not work either.

Please help.

Probably need to go back to an earlier OS version. Or use a low level formatting program.
Suspect that something has been put on it that blows fdisks mind. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Have you run fdisk /mbr to put standard boot record back (Linux probably loaded lilo?). Also, you don't need to run fdisk for win2k - its got its own partitioning and formatting tools which you can use during the install (ie, just boot from 2k install CD - you'll be prompted for where you want to install - you can at this point remove all existing partitions & set up any new ones you want (or choose to install into existing).

Have you tried "fdisk /mbr"? Use a newer fdisk version like win98 and stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back