Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FDISK after an install of Linux, Can't get to Logical Drive to Delete? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wncads

Vendor
Nov 1, 1999
US
Hey need some help here, I am overlooking something. I had a Linux Box and now the customer is wanting to reformat and go back to a Windows OS. I run FDISK and can see partitions but I can't see a LOGICAL DRIVE and thus can't wipe the drive clean and start with a fresh drive and new partitions? what am I missing?? The FDISK info says a LOGICAL drive exists and when I go to view or delete it, I can't see it?? that one logical drive is taking up 90% of my hard drive and I need it deleted?? Keith Buchanan
AplusNetworking.com
keith@aplusnetworking.com

Fdisk won't recognize the stuff on there so it won't wipe it out. If you have access to partition Magic, use that to repartition the drive... that should work just fine.

I usually carry a Partition Magic boot disk with me for instances just like this...

if the customers plans are to go to W2K or XP, then you can boot off of either of those CD's and delete/create any partitions you want.

Outside of that you would need a 3rd party app..Partition Magic as indicated above or Gdisk that comes with Ghost...or similar products. I am sure there has to be a number of shareware/freeware apps out there that will do the trick.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Just get a copy of linux redhat and go thru the install like you are going to set up the drive again. remove everything and just quit. Surely the customer had an original linux disk if he has a linux box. It is not illegal to copy linux either. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

In addition to ceh4702's suggestion, you could use the Red Hat installer to create new FAT partitions, which can be formatted by DOS's format.com - and read by fdisk.

Partition Magic will blat Linux partitions as well.

I hope this helps

Am I missing something?
Isn't there a NON LOGICAL DOS PARTITION ie:Linux
That you can delete and then make a Logical Dos Partition?
Sorry I know this is too simple so I carn't be right!
Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

Hi,
Have you tried the fdisk/mbr route yet ?

THANKS for all the replies... and the quickest way by far was inserting the boot disk for Linux however we did not have the disk. So, went to shareware.com or cnet.com (one and the same) and downloaded a FREEWARE utility called Ranish Partition Manager.... works great and is very FAST... I recommend everyone download and keep this disk in your toolkit. Thanks for all the tips, and for the quick fix I would have to commend MISAdmin for suggesting that we all keep such a disk on hand. Keith Buchanan
AplusNetworking.com
keith@aplusnetworking.com

In answer to your question paparazi, yes, Linux creates a non-DOS partition that can be seen in DOS fdisk but DOS fdisk cannot delete it. Even fdisk /mbr will not remove a Linux partition.

Linux fdisk, or similar utilities can edit and delete these partitions, however.

I've never come across Ranish before - I note that if you have an Award BIOS later than 1997 you need to take special precautions (unless the author has updated this area of the product since).
There are some excellent notes on partitioning on this site - I'd say it's a must-read for any hardware engineer who thinks they understand partitioning, but would like some more nuts-and-bolts information. It'll be even better when the author finishes it ;-)

To CitrixEngineer.
I wasn't aware of that, and it seems even stranger considering a friend gave me a small 4.3 IDE Maxtor with Linux on it, that I sucessfully repartitioned, formatted and loaded Windows 98 onto without even realizing it couldn't be done with a standard 98 boot disk.
Must have just been lucky I guess? Martin
Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

Microsoft seem to think DOS fdisk works;
But note that Microsoft give full details of using the Linux fdisk tool. They do not mention the fact that DOS fdisk /mbr can only completely obliterate the drive, losing all partition information (including existing Windows ones). It cannot edit or delete a Linux partition. Unless you're lucky ;-)

Red Hat outline this procedure

And here's a more detailed summary

I hope this information is useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back