Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FC5 hangs after activating eth0

Status
Not open for further replies.

arevaloj

MIS
Jun 28, 2004
US
Hello,

I'm having an issue with FC5 booting which stops at networking. I pulled out the cable from the NIC and it is able to boot. However, when I activate eth0 (whether with the cable or without), it just hangs. I am then forced to reboot but same issue. Any suggestions? Thanks

JA

Probably your NIC or your UTP cable had a problem.
Check again diag your NIC or UTP cable....:)
Cheers....

Almost sounds as if it is trying to boot off of a network server if the network interface has a link to a network. Might want to check its boot order setting.

Have you looked for any interactions that may be a problem? Like booting single user mode and then bringing the interface up? Then networking? They initing to runlevel 3 and trying again? The runlevel 5?

Another option is to try and bring the network card up under KNOPPIX or one of the other Live CDs, just to see how it does, and what kernel modules it installs. If it works, you can translate that knowledge to your current distro.

pansophic

thanks for the replies...I've tried Knoppix and came across the same issue after "ifconfig eth0 up"...it did work at one point, when I first installed FC5 and was able to do yum updates...now if I only know which update screwed up my NIC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back