Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FC4700 storage processor 2.5' IDE drive failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowadba

Technical User
Mar 23, 2007
US
Please, help who knows a solution. IBM Travelstar 10GB drive died in one of the SPs, and so Windows NT Embedded won't boot anymore (OS not found). I have tried Ghosting a good SP drive to a 20GB laptop drive and Clariion won't boot Windows NT Embedded from it. It would just sit with a message on the screen "Starting ROM-Resident Kernel". If someone knows how to image SP drive, so it would work, please, post your solution. What imaging software you used? Any peculiar BIOS settings on the imaging PC? Every advice is very much appreciated.

hello you must use a 6-10GB ibm disk, and turn on LARGE for both disks in the bios of the motherboard to copy the disks with ghost

Thank you everybody for ideas on this problem.
I was able to use Toshiba laptop drive with the same CHS geometry and another IBM 20GB drive, so the size and manufacturer does not matter as long as imaging is done on the machine that supports LARGE setting in the BIOS as user kewitz suggested. This setting is not on every motherboard. The older motherboards would have it sometimes (in my case Asus CUBX-L with Award BIOS, but motherboards with Phoenix BIOS should have it more often). Clariion's SPs use Phoenix BIOS and though it is setting Auto that they use for drives, it says in the BIOS that Max drive size is 8455MB. LARGE means that 240 heads are used in geometry (versus 255 which is more standard). This link might provide more insight for those who want dig deeper: Also, since reimaging happens from another SP drive, I would suggest going to page to reinitialize other things (security, Domain IDs, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back