Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fc4700: Configuration + Initialization Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabulal

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2006
US
Hello all,

I was able to get to the FCLI Prompt with Maultier's Help. I used Hyperterminal with 9600-8-N-1.But I have been stuck and haven't been able to move from there.

Here is what I did so far.

-- Installed two Emulex HBAs on to a machine with Win 2003 and connected to the SP with fiberchannel cable. The DiskManagement in Computer Management Console shows the disk as unreadable and unknown. How can i make the disk known and readable?

1. Set up the IP addresses of the SPs using the setlan option. BTW, what does WWN stands for? Is it the host name?

2. Downloaded and installed Navishpere Agent 6.19, and Navishpere Cli, and then Downloaded and installed Windows_Mgmt Server 6.6.0, on win 2003. Also downloaded Windows_UI_6.2.2. I tried to connect to the SP by giving its ip address using the UI, and all I got was "Unable to access security information"

3. I tried "navicli getagent node" but all i got was "This agent is not managing any device."

4. Here is my agent.config file
/--------------------------
clarDescr
clarContact
landevice 192.168.100.10
landevice 192.168.100.11

user system@192.168.100.10
user system@192.168.100.11
user admininistrator@sanmanage

poll 60
eventlog 2048
baud 9600
------------------------------------------------/

4. I also bound 3 disks on the drive using bind. All the first three drives have Flare, and must have AccessLogix since it is 6.32.* Rev.

Enter Option : 4 – Load Flare
Initializing back end FIBRE...
Drive # Rev# CodeType SectorSize Status
----------------------------------------------------------
0x0 06.32.18 ALPINE 520 VALID
0x1 06.32.18 ALPINE 520 VALID
0x2 06.32.18 ALPINE 520 VALID
----------
and the sp command on fcli results are

fcli> sp
SP A LOOP ID 0x0 (0.)
PROM Revision: 2.10 Microcode Revision: 06.32.18
Statistics Logging: DISABLED PEER SP: PRESENT
Disk Write Caching: DISABLED R3 Write Buffering: DISABLED
WRITE CACHE: ENABLED READ CACHE: DISABLED
RAID OPTIMIZED: Mixed LUNs SP TYPE: ALPINE
LUN REMAPPING: ENABLED
A: DP 00% TOTAL 23605 DIRTY 0000
B: TOTAL 31030
U: DP 00% TOTAL 0000
Requests Complete: 0
SPS A: NR
SPS B: OK

Press any key to continue....

slot : 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | PSA PSB FAN
DPE-state: UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB | OK OK OK OK
Unit/Group : ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** |

DAE1-state: BIN BIN BIN UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB REM | OK OK OK
Unit/Group : U03 U03 U03 ** ** ** ** ** ** |

DAE2-state: UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB | OK OK OK
Unit/Group : ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** |

DAE3-state: UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB UNB REM REM REM REM | OK OK OK
Unit/Group : ** ** ** ** ** ** |

I bound first three disks on dae1 as r5.
-----------------

Now this is as far as I have been able to get. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Do I need to format the disks on the dpe and daes? Do I need any more software? Is JBOD configuration better because I am thinking about going that way, since i saw a post on tek-tips on how to do that.

I beleive my problem is with Naviagent and its configuration. One more thing, when i installed NaviAgent, it asked me if I wanted to use Microsoft iscsi. I chose no. Do i need iscsi?

Thank you in advance. Your help will be much appreciated. Once i get this working, i plan to document everything and post it.

Mabu

You do not have an fc4700. I see in your text that Alpine is what your are playing with which is an fc4500.
(FC4700 is called a Longbow)
I'm not clear on how you are trying to manage the array. Thru the lan or thru the serial port. If you're going thru the serial port, with an eventlog setting of 2048, it could take you a good long time to download that much information serially. We're talking 30 or more minutes. An eventlog setting of 100 would be best if you're trying to do this serially. If you're trying to do it thru the network connection, it may be a tcpip setting... incorrect subnet ?
The fc45 is not an iscsi machine..so ignore that.
The emulex controller needs to have emc code on it. Check the emulex site.

WWN = World Wide Name - This is the 64bit address given to a Fibre Channel HBA, much like the MAC address of a NIC.

Thanks Maultier and Comtec17.
I downloaded and installed AutoPilot Installer from Emulex website.

I followe Hidden75's instruction on FC-4500/Navisphere 6.X post and changed my agent.config file accordingly. Can you tell me what
landevice, and
"device \\.\SCSI4:0:0:0 CD_2342787141 "DGC RAID 5 0632 2342787141" close .
mean.

Through navicli, using getagent command I could see the sp. Seems like they are FC-4400. But when i use getsp command I just get the "Can't access device".

I still can't see the Emc drives on the Storage/Computer MGMT console, and still don't have any access through navisphere ui.
Thanks for your help.
Mabu

Hi,
Maultier i looked around in the emulex website, but could not find any thing about emc code for the controller.

For now, through HBA anywhere I see the whole San storage device, 25 terabytes as one lun.

Thanks
mabu

I just noticed that the Block length on Lun 0 is 512. Is this the setting for JBOD Configuration?
Thanks
Mabu

sorry.. been a bit busy lately.

yes.. 512 is jbod.

Needs to be set at 520 for standard clariion configuration.

Thanks maultier,

But I have a few more questions regarding this new scenario.

1) is a jbod connection better?
2) Can you connect the Serial Cable to PRI interface and create a serial connection to the DAE?
3) How do I set the block length to 520? Is formatting the only option?
4) How can I format the drives to 520 bytes? Is this through the fcli?
4) In Navicli, when I try "Navicli getall -hba" i get other hbas with different ip addresses? Is this because of the data stored in the VLUT database?

1) is a jbod connection better?
-- It really depends on what you intend to do with the array.
-- jbod is just that ' a bunch of disks' There will be none of the hardware raid capabilities that the fc4500 provides. The DAE (or JBOD chassis) will not be connected to the DPE in that configuration.
2) Can you connect the Serial Cable to PRI interface and create a serial connection to the DAE?
-- No The PRI and EXT db9's are used to connect the dpe to the dae and on to other dae's. This link is for fibre channel communication only. It has nothing to do with traditional Serial port communication.
3) How do I set the block length to 520? Is formatting the only option?
-- Disks meant for a Clariion subsystem come pre-formated as 520 sector disks. If you have a JBOd, you'll need to use a scsi utility of some sort to change the block size. I think that the Clariion will auto-format an unformatted disk. Using a drive initialization program from the disk manaufacturer to set it to factory defaults may work.
5) In Navicli, when I try "Navicli getall -hba" i get other hbas with different ip addresses? Is this because of the data stored in the VLUT database?
-- I don't play with NaviCli that much, opting instead to use the Navisphere gui. However, I will assume that the command is providing you info from the sp's and the hba's in your machine. I'll try this at work tomorrow and see what the results are. I know that the information you are getting back is not going to be ip address information. I suspect you are seeing the world wide names of the hba's. I'll let you know what I see on my machine.

Thanks Maultier,
I found out that the sectors size is 520 so must not be jbod.

I have an emulex hba directly connected to the server. No switches installed for now.

More questions for you
1. I don't have powerpath or other ATF applications installed could this be the cause of my problems?
2. How can i get the powerpath license and are there any alternatives to powerpath?
3. Can i deregister HBA's using FCLI? I saw that Fcli has a hard reset command. Can I use hardreset command to deregister some HBA?
4. I installed Win 2003 prior to installing the hba. could this be the cause of a problem?
5. Do I need to bind all the disks in the array through FCLI for HBAanywhere and the W2k3 to detect the luns.

thanks
Really appreciate your help
mabu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back