Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FC4500 and HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

berndgiese

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
DE
I have a SEAGATE ST336704 with Original Seagate Firmware.
I try to use the HD in my FC4500 but it is not recognized. It seems to me that the HD need EMC firmware. Is there a way to use this HD in my FC4500 Box or do i need the emc firmware? Pherhaps someone can send mw the firmware file?

Thanks

Two things:
The disk needs to be 520 sector formatted and
you likely need a more current version of Flare to support that 36gb drive.
The last disk firmware issue with Clariion had to do with IBM drives many, many years ago.

My flare code is actual.
Thanks for the hint with the 520 sectors.
But 2 other questions:
1) Is the special emc tool to update the firmware or can i use seagate tools
2) where can i download the emc firmware

I am not sure what you mean by firmware.
And 'flare code is actual' ? ??

If you are looking for individual disk firmware for the Seagate, EMC has nothing specific available. If you need firmware for a Seagate drive, I suggest you go to the Seagate site.

If it is flare (the licensed code that operates the Clariion), you should have Navisphere and and of course the version of flare you need. Current levels for the fc4500 are 5.32.20 for non Access Logix and 6.32.20 for Access Logix Flare.

my situation is like this

/dev/sg0 SEAGATE ST336704FC 0005 70022842 blocks
/dev/sg1 SEAGATE ST336704 CLAR36 3A90 70022842 blocks

I've formated the first driver with 520 sectors.

But when i put it in my FC4500 the hdd is not recognized.

So I think the Problem is that the 2 HDD's have a different firmware.

I'm using 6.32.20 for Access Logix Flare.

EMC does put a new label on the drive (an oem label) 'CLAR36' is usually the most noticeable change. But drive firmware is not usually a factor.
Is it really the fc4500 that doesn't see the drive or is it the operating system?
Is the slot faulted?
What does Navisphere or FCLI show for a status on the drive?
Is the drive bound as an individual drive or part of a raid?
If it is an individually bound disk, did you unbind and rebind that disk? Raid configured disks shouldn't need to be unbound.
Unbinding causes loss of data. Be sure you are backed up and that you are unbind the correct drive.

The FCLI Status of the drive

9. SEAGATE ST336704 CLAR36 3A90 3CD0RWXX 0x420C278
10. SEAGATE ST336704FC 0005 3CD04AFN 0x0

It is an individual disk and not a bound disk. I can't see the disk in Navisphere. Status of the disk is POWERED OFF and unsupported disk in FCLI.

Individual disks should be unbound before removing the faulted drive and rebound after inserting the new drive.
Remove the disk, unbind the slot, insert the disk, rebind.

If you have a hot spare configured, you can try removing it and inserting the disk that is giving you trouble. The host spare should configure itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back