Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FC 6239 Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwings

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
US
Is there a good user guide for using FC 6239 CArd. I have installed the cards in my 7028-6E4 server but can not find anything on how to use them. I have a SAN connection waiting for me, but the only manuals that came with the card is the installation of the drivers and the card. Is there any information out there on how to set the card up to see the SAN drives or tape drives that it will be attached too?

I am not aware of any user manuals since there really is not a whole lot you can do on the card. Install the drivers and all the fcp.rte files. I am not sure what Disk Array or Tape you are connecting to or have an idea of your SAN setup.

Basically install the card, drivers, and rte's then setup your disk on the Array, zone the switches..etc.

This is a general SAN configuration.

For disks and tape, once your run cfgmgr the device will look just like local SCSI type devices.

You may need additional software depending on your SAN. I had to install Hitachi Dynamic Link Manage to get multi-pathing to work correctly.

Have a word with your SAN supplier.

I had the added problem of the SAN being supplied by SUN, they weren't to keen on giving me help to connect an IBM box.

BTW. The Hitachi software was stupidly expensive.

--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
|
----------------------------

When running the cfgmgr this is that message that I get:

root@pdmsys1:/>cfgmgr
Method error (/usr/lib/methods/cfgefscsi -l fscsi1 ):
0514-061 Cannot find a child device.

Any idea on what i need. I have loaded all the drives and fcp.rte files.

When doing the lsdev -C command this is what i receive:

fcs0 Available 1Z-08 FC Adapter
fcs1 Available 1D-08 FC Adapter
fscsi0 Available 1Z-08-01 FC SCSI I/O Controller Protocol Device
fscsi1 Available 1D-08-01 FC SCSI I/O Controller Protocol Device

All it's telling you is that it can't find anything out on the SAN to configure as an AIX device. This is typically due to zoning rules.
If you want rid of the message, define a zoning/lun masking arrangement that lets your AIX system see some devices (whether they be tape or disk or whatever). Of course, make sure they aren't in use at the time!

If you run lsattr -El fscsi0 and fscsi1 you can see the connection status between you and the SAN from the Fiber cards.

Craigy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back