Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FC-4500 / NAVISPHERE 6.X 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidden75

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2005
US
Anyone know how to setup NAVISPHERE 6.X for my FC-4500?

I have the Navi Agent 6.X installed on a box that has a fiber connection to my 4500. I also have the 4500 SP lan connectors connected up to my LAN.

Any configuration I need to do to the agent.config file?

Do I have to install the Management UI? How do I set all this stuff up.

Do I have to install the Management server? I believe this installs a service called navisphere governor and that opens two ports. 2162 and 2163.

When I launch index.html it loads up java and then asks me to connect via Serial, LAN or Safe line or something.

when I select LAN and put the IP address which is the same serevr and select ports 2162 and 2163 it says it cannot get the security information. The Documentation says it should come up with a initalization the first time its ran so you can create a user. No go here.

Who has Navi 6.X running on a FC4500 correctly? Need some help.

Thanks.

Dave

The only problem I'm having now is that it seems that I cannot manage the array completly from the lan ports.

6.x, agent 6.x, management server is setup as a portal.

I put the landevice in the agent.config file and the IP address for port of the SP.. It doesn't like the device "landevice"

Did they change the agent config file from 5.x to 6.x not allowing the landevice option.

Ok.. I figured it out again. cool.

Squiddog,

The problem is, my management server( portal) has Navi Agent running on it and it will talk to the FC4500 over the lan ports. The issue was is that the Management server is also connected via two HBA's. So its a juggle to get everything working the way it should when you have all three to contend with.

Here is my agent.config file on my Mangement server which is also connected via fiber because I have LUNs needed for that server.

/--------------------------
LastSave 3304476818
clarDescr Hidden-nt.hiddeninc.com
clarContact Admin

landevice 192.168.100.96 hidden-storage
landevice 192.168.100.95 hidden-storage
device \\.\SCSI4:0:0:0 CD_2342787141 "DGC RAID 5 0632 2342787141" close

user system@192.168.100.95
user system@192.168.100.96
user admin@hidden-nt
user hidden@hidden-nt
user 0@hidden-nt
user hidden@hidden-lap

poll 60
eventlog 2048
baud 9600
------------------------------------------------/

At this point I only have one switch as the other hasn't shown up yet. So I have both HBA's connected to the same switch in the same zone. Powerpath is working but its not setup correctly as if it fails over it cannot failover to the other SP since the switch is only connected to one SP.

Once the other switch gets here I'll complete the dual path's and test..

Nice!

If I could only upgrade my FC4500 to a newer FLARE, I'd go back to it and sell my FC4700-2 and pocket the difference. I didn't like managing it through a single port, and I couldn't use power path, so I may hook it up this weekend and see if I can get it to work over the LAN ports as you did.

I'm using these as a home enthusiast, not in a business, so the FC4500 is actually sufficient for my needs, and would consume a bit less power, and provide a little bit more disk space (due to not having to have a PSM LUN that wastes a bit more space).

--
Bill Plein
a.k.a. squiddog
Contact me at

Squiddog,

I can help you get up and running with your FC4500.. I'm still testing my configuration.. Last night I tried to connect two more machines to this box and had some issues with connecting new hosts and registering the HBA's.

Under the hosts tab I was getting the WWN showing up. So I had to go to the portal configuration and then add the new systems there as managed hosts under my portal server. Once I did that these machines then showed up under the hosts tab. However the WWN was still there. I then went to the configuration area on the storage and registered the HBA's to the new host and that took away the WWN from the host tab. The only prolbem I had at this point was getting the portal/management server to see the actual host vs the ip address of the machine. At one point it also grabbed the 2nd NIC's ip address which was only setup to be a keep alive from cluster node to cluster node. I have no idea why the portal/management server picked up that address as it's not in the same network as everything else on my LAN. So I had to disable those two NIC's on my clusters and then restart the boxes and the portal before it registered the correct IP.. Then after restarting again. It finally resolved the IP to name. I hope this isn't how much work it is everytime you add a new host. Otherwise no one would ever want to add a new host. Pain in the rear.

Anyways.. Finally got the system added and in a cluster storage group I created for it. I have yet to bring up the other cluster node and add that one.

I can't switch back to the FC4500 until I upgrade flare, as I want/need PowerPath support.

Thanks, though, the conf file helped

--
Bill Plein
a.k.a. squiddog
Contact me at

Quick question, if you wouldn't mind.

When you had the landevice settings only (and not the host agent as well), what features were you able to administer and manage, and what were you not able to manage?

--
Bill Plein
a.k.a. squiddog
Contact me at

I can change anything. If you only put one landevice for one SP then you can manage everything except for the other SP. But with both you can manage the complete system.. right now I have the device line commented out because I do not have that machine connected via fiber right now.

So.. The answer is.. As far as I know.. everything. I haven't ran into any problems.

Squiddog check your contact@ address

FLARE version 5.32.01, 6.32.01 added support for managing the array thru the LAN ports.

Hey guys - I've been checking out your posts about configuring an FC4500. I've never worked with one before, but I need to set one up for a client this week. I've worked with a lot of Sun equipment, mostly SCSI based but some newer fiber models - V880, etc. I've configured an EMC/Dell AX100 before for a Microsoft cluster build and that was pretty easy using Navisphere. Is Navisphere used with the FC4500? My setup will be on Sun hardware running Sol 8. I don't have many details yet, but I don't think there'll be any need for multipathing, just a straightforward direct connect scenario with a single HBA on the server. Is this an easy config? I'm hoping to find the install documentation online to peruse it before I get to the client site so I don't have to waste much time getting acquainted with the hardware. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Setting up the 4500 isn't hard. But you do need to have it planned out.. Do you have software? What version? Do you have FLARE on the first three drives? What version? What HBA's are you running? You will need some sort of managment box setup either a laptop with Navi on it or Windows desktop with it on there. You can get away with 4.x Navi if your not using storage groups which I suspect you are not using. Make sure you have all the correct cables and multi mode fiber and such. How many drives are you running? DAE's? SPS's?

We can get you up and running no problem.

Dave

You probably gonna need the Navi agent for Sun Sol.

Thanks very much for the info! I probably won't have any more details until tomorrow when I get to the client site. I may have a few questions for you if they don't have everything I need. It's not a new install, but rather a reinstall of a previously used array. They say they have all the docs and media. You wouldn't happen to have an installation pdf or other electronic version for the 4500 would you? The only docs I found online are from Dell and I don't hink they covered a Sun installation.

The problem with EMC is they have PDF files for everything but not all in one. They have PDF files for individual softwares for Sol probably. Things like Agent install, Powerpath install. You not really installing the 4500. Your just connecting it up. The 4500 isn't specific to the OS your running. Your still connecting to HBA's. I'm a little scared that these people bought this system used and the drives might have been wiped. If that is the case you might be in deep trouble as the drives will not have FLARE on them. I hope you have a console cable to get into the SP's to at least see what the array is doing.

Yes, I'm hoping it's as simple as hooking up the 4500 to a pre-installed HBA and configuring the array for remote management via the lan port, but it's never that simple. I'll probably need to install and configure the HBA. I'm also assuming, at a bare minimum, that there's an agent and CLI that needs to be installed on Solaris for initializing/registering/monitoring/management aside from using Navi to configure the array? If FLARE is missing then it's going to be a whole different ballgame, but there must be a utility available to reinstall it, right? For the console connect, don't I just need a 9 pin null modem cable and a laptop? Maybe you could give me a quick step by step overview of what was necessary (assuming that FLARE is intact and the array is visible from the server) to get yours up and configured? If not I guess I'm in for a ride! Oh well, I'm just moonlighting on this job anyway.

Unfortunately, if that system doesn't have FLARE on it then you will be stuck. Two options. Get a drive from EMC with FLARE. Or get a drive from a donner 4500 system. You could send someone with a 4500 a drive and they can FLARE it for you. Make sure they kill all the LUN's first, RAID groups, I had a hard time with mine because the FLARE I took from another 4500 had LUN's binded. You will not be able to unbind the LUN's as the system will not see the database drives. VERY IMPORTANT!

Installing the HBA's isn't to difficult. I guess those are vender specific. I like Emulex cards.

As for the console. Null modem cable should be fine.

Really just have to get more information and then go from there.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back