Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FBlock, Clipper 5.2, and NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

treadhead

MIS
May 10, 2001
US
I'm new to Clipper and have been given the responsibility for existing applications. I have some that run under NT with no problems. I have one that does not. The one that doesn't work has a statement:

Define Fblock 128

In the books that we have there is no mention of FBlock. Can someone tell me what it is? Is this a memory allocation or what? How do I get this to work under NT?
The error we get is "Cannot Open file xxx". We have checked the path, the file exists, rights are ok, etc, the only "oddball" in the code is the fblock statement.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If the statement reads #define Fblock 128, then check the code for the use of this constant variable FBLOCK. Somewhere in the code there are comparisons to FBLOCK. The original programmer set this constant variable so that if they ever needed to change it's value, they only had to do it in one area and not at every comparison.
I do not think this is the cause of the problem. I have some programs that work fine for Windows '95 and '98, but have trouble with NT. I track my trouble of finding file that exist to how NT maps network drives.

compare how a working pc and the non working one are configured. Type 'set' at a DOS prompt on the one that works and see if there are some Clipper or application memory variables being created that are NOT being set or created on the one that doesn't work.
I use Blinker to 'burn in' some variables and test for their existance at startup. If the PC hasnt been 'set up' correctly, the app will inform them then shut down. Maybe same thing here
Good luck
Circes

To my understanding the "Define Fblock 128" is a variable initialization at the top of the program, so check out your mapping system in Nt and also where you have the program icon on the desktop check the properties to know if they are well set to suit your application.

Mark Frolic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back