Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fbackup/frecover

Status
Not open for further replies.

drluggo

Programmer
Jan 14, 2003
US
I am very new to Unix and hp-ux. I need to make one machine basically look exactly like another for a client so that he can "plug" in the backup machine in case of failure. I started by making the IP address, hosts file, and a whole slew of other files identical. But things were not working correctly. So I did an fbackup on the root directory of the one machine and ran frecover on the other machine thinking it would overwrite any files (when you are done laughing, consider how desparate I was). Now I have a full disk and don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

On the system you can still get to, do a man on ignite. This is HP's program that allows you to create a tape of all the vg00 volume group (which is where the OS is) and use it to create another system that is identical.

It could be that the / filesystem on the one system is larger than the other, which would explain why it filled up.

I think one of your problems may have been putting the same name and IP on the new system -- unless the new system wasn't on the network at the time. If the new system is on the network, you can set it up with a different name and IP and then when you need to switch names and IP, use the set_parms command to change the name and IP of the new system.

Don't worry about folks laughing.

The system is not on the network and is going to replace the other system in the event of a failure so having the same IP address is not a problem.

I could not do a man on ignite. Could it not be loaded?
Also, it doesn't look like it has any LVs defined. There is no VGxx device in /dev. Remember, my lingo may not be correct.

I have very little information on this system as it has been given to me second hand (don't even have the OS software). It is running hp-ux 10.20 and is a model 715/64. I do not need any of the info from the original system, just need to make it emulated the one that it will backup (only temporarily in the event of failure).

Can I remove the contents of the "/" directory and then recover the original to get back to a known state???

If you get rid of the contents of /, you are going to be in worse shape than you are now. Check to see if there is a core file that might be taking a lot of room in /.

If this is an old system and you don't know its history, it could be that the man pages weren't installed.

Go to docs.hp.com and do a search on ignite to see if there is some information you can pick up there on ignite. It could be that the system doesn't have it. I vaguely recall having to install it on 10.20 after the servers had been up and running on 10.20 for a while, but that was a while ago.

On the server you are trying to copy, check to see if there is an /opt/ignite/bin/make_recovery command and let us know. If there isn't, there was another utility HP had before make_recovery that would be useful, but I can't remember the name of it.

I have an 11.0 HP-UX system and ignite was not installed. I downloaded and installed from above site. The make_recovery tape is very important. We use ifconfig to define multiple IPs to one machine. This can be defined in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf to mantain after a boot. You can change an IP's status from up/down (may want to look at this on the IP issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back